Courage To Change 03/01/14

Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 03/01/14

Sometimes knowledge isn't all it's cracked up to be. Naturally it can be helpful to look at past experiences for information about ourselves and our relationships. There is much to be learned from inventories, memories, and reasoning things out with others. But waiting for insight can become an excuse to avoid action.
For example, some of us fall into the trap of trying to analyze alcoholism. We don't want to accept the reality of our circumstances because we haven't yet figured out the rhyme and reason of it. The fact is that alcoholism is an illogical disease; we may never fully comprehend. Nevertheless we have an obligation to ourselves to accept the reality in which we live and to act accordingly.
Others want to ignore the spiritual nature of the Al-Anon program, waiting for a clear and comfortable understanding of a Higher Power. Many of us never attain that clarity, yet we manage to develop rewarding relationships with a Power greater than ourselves by taking the action and praying anyway.

Today's Reminder

Information can be wonderfully enlightening, but it is not the answer to every problem. I will be honest about my motives today

"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."

~Zen proverb
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ugh, yes, this was a tough one. Coming to the realization that all the research into alcoholism in the world could not solve the immediate problem of protecting ourselves (Mr. S and I) from the unacceptable behavior of an active alcoholic.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It's a tough one for me too, as a little girl I used to dismember radios and other electronics to see how it works and I still have the same inquiring mind.
Thing is that figuring things out is one thing but will not help me achieve serenity.