View Poll Results: What instrument do you recommend?
Piano
39.13%
Guitar
60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

OT - Musical Poll

Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I play piano and guitar and I would recommend guitar. Not because it's easier to learn (piano was easier for me), but because if you have kids in the house and are going to practice after they go to bed, it's easier to haul a guitar around to the place where you disturb them the least.

I also like that if you have a guitar, you can play and sing with your kids -- while facing them. If you have a piano pushed up against a wall, you have your back to the room and it doesn't feel like you're participating as much.

Of course, you could also buy an electronic keyboard...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think it probably depends on the family and friends and the songs. We always sang with Grandma when she played. The piano was in the front room; she'd start playing and we'd stop playing games or reading to join in. Dad would get out his guitar to accompany her sometimes, too.

That being said, only Dad's guitar was available if we were hanging out at one of the lakes.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm doing both. I bought an acoustic guitar and an electronic keyboard this morning. A real piano is way too big of a commitment to make right now. For now, playing songs on a guitar with my kids will be fun and Mary Had A Little Lamb on the piano will be fun too. It's a good intro to music for my toddler if nothing else. If it turns out to be something I really enjoy and become decent at then I'll upgrade myself to a better instrument.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Beyond the logistics of finding and owning a piano; the piano is by far the better of the two for learning about music. You get both clefs, you get a very nice logical layout of the western notes (in black and white no less). It teaches you rhythm between hands and feet (like drums). It teaches you chords (like guitar). It requires the combination of rhythm, chords, melody and harmony all in one easy package.

I am a musician and every piano player I know has a solid grasp of ALL the fundamentals of music...and they are always in demand for jobs.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

depends...

All posters make great points. You'll decide what fits for you.

For me...I picked up the guitar again about 4 years ago. I hadn't played for 20 years. Wow, things have changed. When I was a kid you had to find people to teach you, find the chords, and g*d forbid the guitar was out of tune!

Now, it's as easy as picking a song you like, finding an acoustic version online and finding the chords. Lots of sites have a handy 'tranpose' feature which lets you switch it up to the version you want and are able to play. Voila. Instant guitar hero

I'm not great but I love playing my guitar. I do what I call 'guitar karaoke' which involves all of the above steps. Then I play along with whatever acoustic video I like.

Have a ton of fun,
Good Roads,
Chick
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
I guess I've never really paid attention to drums in music before.
HAhaah!! As a drummer I say we are the heartbeat of it all...
Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow. I want to do what this kid can do. Think I might be taking my guitar back and focusing solely on piano.

Bennie And The Jets (In The Mood) - Elton John - Piano Cover - YouTube
Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
HAhaah!! As a drummer I say we are the heartbeat of it all...
One of my kids is a drummer and he'd absolutely agree with this! One kid plays violin, one drums, the last one keyboard, violin, and guitar. STBXAH played guitar, keyboard, trumpet, and drums. I'm the least musical person in our family, lol.