Al-Anon, Na-Anon mostly for Codependency?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello BlueChair, and pleased to "meet" you.

Originally Posted by BlueChair View Post
Ive been trying for a while to figure out al-anon. I guess my main question is what is it based on? I know the meetings are sharing but they also have books and conference approved literature. Where does it come from, is it based on principles of AA?
Al-anon is just another "12-step fellowship", of which there are well over 100. Both Al-anon and AA are based on the same "12 steps". All the "12-step fellowships" are considered to be in "parallel" to each other. In the professional mental health community they are classified under "Self-help groups".

The foundation of all these "12-step fellowships" is the "12-steps". All the rest of the literature, of which there are easily hundreds of books, are just commentary on those steps; examples, opinions, suggestions, advice and expansion on the "12 steps".

The "12 steps" are _very loosely_ based on the "Oxford groups", which were a conservative Christian movement, with political aims, from the early 1930's in the NorthWest USA. "Loosely based" is the operative term, because there's only a handful of therapeutic techniques from the Oxford groups that are incorporated in the 12 steps.

The Oxford groups based their approach on the works of Carl Jung and William James, who were two of the founders of what later became the fields of Psychology and Psychiatry.

The fundamentals of all forms of counseling / therapy, including the "12 steps" are based on 3 principles: "Awareness, Acceptance, Action". Those happen to be a "slogan" in some of the 12 step fellowships, but that is just pleasant plagiarism.

That is the long version of the foundation of "12 step programs". The short version is that they are just a form of group therapy not much different from all the other forms. If you want to get technical, AA is classified as a "self help / behavior control" and al-anon comes under "self help / stress coping". Most of the larger universities will have courses at the Master's level that explore these forms of therapy in some detail, but unless you are total geek it's not very interesting.

In real life there is a huge amount of variation from one group to another, based primarily on the individuals who happen to attend. Groups that are formally organized under an umbrella corporation or institution, such as Celebrate Recovery, tend to be much more homogeneous. The general rule of thumb is that you have to "shop around" much the way you search for a Therapist or Dentist in order to find a group that is a "good fit" for your needs.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Essentially, Al-Anon and Nar-Anon subscribe to a belief in a power greater than ourselves. The 12 steps are based on the same 12 steps of AA and NA but Step One is slightly adjusted for family/friends. The remaining 11 steps are identical to AA and NA. The most basic way that I can explain those programs is that they help us work through our feelings, look inward (and to a higher power) for answers, and provides a "how to" find peace within ourselves whether the alcoholic or addict continues to drink/use or not. There is no suggestion to stay with the addicted loved one nor is there ever a suggestion to leave them.

There is some great literature available from both organizations. Two of my favorites from Al-Anon are "Paths to Recovery" and "How Al-Anon Works". The second book described my feelings and emotions as it related to addiction/alcoholism to a tee. The primary book for Nar-Anon is called "Sharing Experience, Strength, and Hope" (SESH) and it is a daily reader that helps to stay positive and again.....look inward. There are many daily readers available through Al-Anon and I have several of them loaded on my iPhone so that I can reference the positive, self affirming messages at any time.

To answer your question regarding how the literature becomes conference approved......much of it has been written by ordinary people.....members if you will. It is then submitted and reviewed by a literature committee. It is then passed back through the regions, areas, and groups for further review before going back to the WSO (World Service Organization) for final approval and publication. There is nothing secret per se about Al-Anon and Nar-Anon but anonymity is an important element......just as confidentiality is important with a therapist. Unfortunately, there is still stigma attached to alcoholism and drug addiction......and the concept of anonymity provides a feeling of security for members.

Just as AA and NA are alcoholics and addicts helping each other.....Al-Anon and Nar-Anon are people whose lives have been impacted by alcoholism or addiction helping others whose lives have also been impacted by the drinking or substance abuse of a relative or friend. The term "codependency" is not (or very, very, very seldom) referenced in Al-Anon or Nar-Anon literature.

If you aren't interested or are unable to go to meetings but want to know more, the three books mentioned above are available online. Many of them are available for Android and iPhone/iPad. They can be downloaded and read.....and that may help you further understand the program. But for me.....there is nothing quite as valuable as face-to-face meetings with others who have lived or are living with alcoholism or addiction. I met some of my dearest friends in those rooms.

There is no need to fully embrace everything said in a meeting......that is where the saying "take what you need and leave the rest" comes in to play.

Nar-Anon and Al-Anon works very well with other methods of self care.....in fact, self care is another aspect of Al-Anon and Nar-Anon. Personally, I used Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, private counseling, yoga, meditation, music, and dance. All of it helped me heal from the fear, anguish, and trauma of loving someone who is addicted.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
Hello BlueChair, and pleased to "meet" you.

Al-anon is just another "12-step fellowship", of which there are well over 100. Both Al-anon and AA are based on the same "12 steps". All the "12-step fellowships" are considered to be in "parallel" to each other. In the professional mental health community they are classified under "Self-help groups".

The foundation of all these "12-step fellowships" is the "12-steps". All the rest of the literature, of which there are easily hundreds of books, are just commentary on those steps; examples, opinions, suggestions, advice and expansion on the "12 steps".

The "12 steps" are _very loosely_ based on the "Oxford groups", which were a conservative Christian movement, with political aims, from the early 1930's in the NorthWest USA. "Loosely based" is the operative term, because there's only a handful of therapeutic techniques from the Oxford groups that are incorporated in the 12 steps.

The Oxford groups based their approach on the works of Carl Jung and William James, who were two of the founders of what later became the fields of Psychology and Psychiatry.

The fundamentals of all forms of counseling / therapy, including the "12 steps" are based on 3 principles: "Awareness, Acceptance, Action". Those happen to be a "slogan" in some of the 12 step fellowships, but that is just pleasant plagiarism.

That is the long version of the foundation of "12 step programs". The short version is that they are just a form of group therapy not much different from all the other forms. If you want to get technical, AA is classified as a "self help / behavior control" and al-anon comes under "self help / stress coping". Most of the larger universities will have courses at the Master's level that explore these forms of therapy in some detail, but unless you are total geek it's not very interesting.

In real life there is a huge amount of variation from one group to another, based primarily on the individuals who happen to attend. Groups that are formally organized under an umbrella corporation or institution, such as Celebrate Recovery, tend to be much more homogeneous. The general rule of thumb is that you have to "shop around" much the way you search for a Therapist or Dentist in order to find a group that is a "good fit" for your needs.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
Thank you Mike, YES that is what I was looking for. I want to read deeper so I understand more and maybe can relate better. Im going to do some exploring now.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've been reading the book "Many Voices, One Journey," which is essentially a book length history of Al-Anon. (Published: 2011) Personally, I think the book is fascinating...but I like histories.
Al-Anon isn't so much secretive as anonymous. One of the principles of anonymity is that Al-Anon never takes an official stand on "outside" issues. As a result, you may read praises or (possibly more likely) critiques of the program and of the organization...but you'll never see an official response or hear from an official spokesman either to accept the praise or to rebut the criticism. I believe, and I'm sure others would agree, that part of the success of the program is due to the fact that it keeps its members focused on "principles not personalities."
Outside of the conference approved literature, you'll never see an article (by someone identified as being a spokesman for the organization) explaining "how Al-Anon works." You will, however, find a book titled "How Al-Anon Works," that tackles that very subject, if you're interested.
Where did the conference approved literature come from? Quite often it was originated by individual members. I found it quite amazing that with three "daily readers" in print...each page was written by an individual member of the program (although gently edited no doubt). There is an amazing amount of wisdom contained in those pages and it truly does boggle the mind to think about "where it came from."
Old 02-26-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
IMO this is key. I had to go through a handful of meetings and groups before I found one that worked well for me...and it worked well for me. I ended up at a mens group. For me it was overwhelming to be in a group of women because I already felt emasculated and the little man brain in my head didn't like it. The mens group was an immediate fit for me. They were a little more straight to the point, a lot less forgiving and the meetings are filled with guy humor.

For example I went to a fire meeting where people sit around a fire in the evening and hold a meeting. It was very relaxing and I really liked it, but when I told my story all I got was a pat on the back and the "it works if you work it." In the mens meeting my story was met with much laughter and resonance. The fire meeting had a bunch of newcomers and the mens meeting is primarily a small group of guys that have been going for years so BS doesn't fly with them. The mens group was/is the group that works for me, I get what I need and feel connected to the group. Everyone is different and mileage will vary but it is very important to find a group that works for you or you will get very little out of alanon
Old 02-26-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had a nice talk with Hammer too, hope you dont mind my saying it here, your comments were helpful !! Thank you for taking time to share with me.

I have to say this, every time I see your name I start thinking of that song, the one on the Leggo My Eggo commercial.

"Hammer, Go Hammer, Yo Hammer"