We watched the movie "Flight" last night

Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Hope it's OK to bump this thread. I've read this thread but just watched the movie tonight. The crew behind the production of this movie has certainly done their research on the alcoholism and lies we tell to mask our problem. It was uncanny at times.

I really don't want to get into the similarities of all the parallels that Whip faced and what we've been through but wow, be ready to look at yourself in the mirror. The thing that hit me the most was (as a functioning alcoholic) was I really look back and wonder how many times I smelled like a vodka farm while functioning. I don't miss that. Not one bit. Taking a slug of gatoraid and vodka so take of the shakes so you can function normally until work was over and you can hit the bar or vodka isle.

Yuck, what a pattern.

Ending on a little lighter note:

John Goodman was awesome and offered some dark humor as he's great in doing. I'll always remember him from 'The Big Lebowski". He did not disappoint.

I wonder if that adjoining hotel room door was left open on purpose for sabotage.

Good movie in a 'Leaving Las Vegas' kind of way. Not happy but it serves it's purpose.

Hang in there guys. We're all in this together.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so curious about this movie now. I'm very early in my recovery (9 days). Is it a good or bad idea for me to watch this?

pakman
Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by pakman View Post
I'm so curious about this movie now. I'm very early in my recovery (9 days). Is it a good or bad idea for me to watch this?

pakman
I'm not qualified to answer that question. What I took from the movie is a warning and witnessing a downward spiral.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I saw this thread earlier and couldn't bring myself to reply. How we move on through recovery, and begin to open up... So yes, I watched this movie at home last year, alone, with then AH sat in the next room getting drunk. He is a retired pilot, and I'm ashamed to say drank heavily all the time we were married, got up and went to work the next day. There but for the grace of God ... no incidents thankfully. I used to suggest he'd had enough, and offer to make coffee, or suggest he call in sick some days, which he did. I once got to the point - early on - that I threatened to shop him. He made sure I didn't raise that again. I am so ashamed of this, and would never have been able to live with myself if anything had happened. Thankfully he hung up his wings 3 years ago and took to drinking full time. I've never admitted this openly before, either. I guess that's progress, huh? It certainly doesn't feel good, though.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wow. With some reservations, I watched this movie last night. Reservations came because I dind't know the plot or tone of the movie particularly how it portrayed alcohol and alcoholism. I'm glad I watched it. I could definitely relate to this movie. The denial, lies, and eventual acceptance.

Line that stuck with me was, (something like). "Don't tell me how to lie about my drinking, okay? I know how to lie about my drinking. I've been lying about my drinking my whole life."
Old 08-31-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Originally Posted by pakman View Post
Wow. With some reservations, I watched this movie last night. Reservations came because I dind't know the plot or tone of the movie particularly how it portrayed alcohol and alcoholism. I'm glad I watched it. I could definitely relate to this movie. The denial, lies, and eventual acceptance.

Line that stuck with me was, (something like). "Don't tell me how to lie about my drinking, okay? I know how to lie about my drinking. I've been lying about my drinking my whole life."
That line stuck with me too.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like mentioned earlier, it's not a happy movie but does have a purpose. Hang in there.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The first time I watched this movie was with my AH. It was very difficult for me and it made me very e emotional. I saw it the second time I've he started recovery and I still feel sensitive towards it. But, that first time was almost like salt in the wounds.this movie was still not add bad as wolf on wall street!