Nowhere to go

Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nowhere to go

Quick intro. I have been attending al-anon for a year and husband has been in AA for a total of 10 years (with relapse in the middle).

He's a dry drunk. Works the program but has an unforgiving rage towards the world... but it always focuses on me. And now he left. Where to? Who knows. But he left for the night. For me its not even a matter of if he goes out to relapse or if hes going to a late night meeting.

I don't want this life for me anymore. I know that my discomfort is my problem and if I want to be happy its up to me. But I have no where to go. My parents wont take me in and I know no one else. He isn't originally from the states so his main option would be to go back to his country. I have tried to be married to a RA but the more I grow in my program, the more I see I do not want to be treated like trash (because I'm not).

There is a life for me beyond this marriage and I do have my issues no doubt, it doesn't I have to volunteer for this BS anymore.

I've done tons of step 10s and many a gratitude list but at the end of the day no matter what I put down on paper won't change the names or the cursing.

I can't smile through tears anymore and recite the serenity prayer to myself as he screams.

He took the car. Please pray for me. I just want to sleep and get to work in the morning (God knows how!)
Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pmv
if it works don't fix it

well my anger got me in marriage counseling and my wife is happy I agreed to it. I had a few issues that we'rent getting solved in meetings and we're on a better path today. sorry you're having issues
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
csd

hello Luri, we are all here because we know we shouldnt, sweetheart, YOU R better, and by the sounds of it you already know. the hardest part is letting go, Im with you right now. You will come to the end, be at your own bottom, and have a wakening, just like A's do. the only difference is, YOU will conquer, YOU will defeat, YOU will become the person you are. YOU already know you deserve better, its just up to YOU to believe in yourself.

The greatest thing I took from my exa, was I want children, I want so much for that now, Im 41, I spent my whole life In solitude, was very comfortable, But now I want to be a DAD, I think I would be a great Dad, ...but maybe I missed my calling, Dont regret anything in you life, dont regret moving away from things you think you love, which is causing you the most pain. Stay true to YOU, the person you WERE, is still there, its only a matter of bringing that confidence back in yourself.

I dont pray, I never had, But I now secretly pray for everyone on this site, to my own HP.

I wish you all the happiest life from bottom till the end.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Luri View Post
Quick intro. I have been attending al-anon for a year and husband has been in AA for a total of 10 years (with relapse in the middle).

He's a dry drunk. Works the program but has an unforgiving rage towards the world... but it always focuses on me. And now he left. Where to? Who knows. But he left for the night. For me its not even a matter of if he goes out to relapse or if hes going to a late night meeting.
All good for you either way in that.

I have learned all about "Dry Drunk" this last year.

If he is out, each, any, or every where -- he is not dumping on you.

Good.

I don't want this life for me anymore. I know that my discomfort is my problem and if I want to be happy its up to me. But I have no where to go. My parents wont take me in and I know no one else. He isn't originally from the states so his main option would be to go back to his country. I have tried to be married to a RA but the more I grow in my program, the more I see I do not want to be treated like trash (because I'm not).
Good on your parents, too.

Means the path ahead is not with Mommy and Daddy, but rather between you and God . . . AND THAT is a Great Path to be on.

There is a life for me beyond this marriage and I do have my issues no doubt, it doesn't I have to volunteer for this BS anymore.

I've done tons of step 10s and many a gratitude list but at the end of the day no matter what I put down on paper won't change the names or the cursing.

I can't smile through tears anymore and recite the serenity prayer to myself as he screams.
Good on all that, too.

You understand you do not need permission to hit the STOP button?

The horrid games and life you are living ends as soon as YOU say so.

So just say so.

What did Dorothy do? Click her heels three times? Click' em, girlfriend.

He took the car. Please pray for me. I just want to sleep and get to work in the morning (God knows how!)
mkay, you ask, we deliver. Actually God delivers, we just talk about it.

But God delivers better Dominos or UPS.

===============

Dear God,

Please boot our friend Luri (very gently) in the butt.

She seems to be stuck in the launch tube.

Amen.

===============

Go Girl, but Go With God.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are hurting you deserve better. Try to stay positive and see a peaceful happiness ahead of you. It is there waiting! Much love,
Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

where can you go? any kids? where do you live now? Own a house, renting? Depending on your income, you can qualify for low income apartments. If not you could grin and bare it a few more months until you've saved up enough for a deposit and rent? Do you have any co-workers that can help?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steelman1649 View Post
where can you go? any kids? where do you live now? Own a house, renting? Depending on your income, you can qualify for low income apartments. If not you could grin and bare it a few more months until you've saved up enough for a deposit and rent? Do you have any co-workers that can help?
no kids, just a dog. i live in southern california. renting. cant apply for any govt type things (it was a condition when my husband got his green card, neither of us can apply). and nope to the co-workers. i work for my dad.

god has taken care of me so far. i can grin and bare it because at the moment i dont have any other choice.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My dear, I am so sorry you are going through this. No one deserves that verbal abuse. I dont know where you live but don't turn your head away from a shelter w/out checking it out first. Here there is a really really nice one that sets you up and help you find a job, transports you to said job and is truly a great setup. Talk to churches, talk to everyone you can because you deserve to get out! And remember, half of what you guys currently have belongs to YOU.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Luri, You are living in an abusive relationship. The reason that I say that is because many people who live with abuse don't realize that it is.

The National Domestic Abuse Hotline is available to anyone with a phone. They can help you and also, point you to where help is. They can also point you to the attorneys that will give you a free consultation--or maybe, more. You are married---so you DO own half of what he does--just as Hopeful4 said. It might be possible to legally get him to leave the home (due to the abuse) and stay away.

My dear, you are married and you have a job and no dependent children.

You DO have options. You don't have to live with this. There are other choices.

I hear that you go to alanon--though, I don't know how often. Alanon does not advocate living in abuse. It does not!

You don't deserve the abuse. Don't just accept it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dandylion
Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

cant apply for any govt type things (it was a condition when my husband got his green card, neither of us can apply).
Divorce his arse and you are free to apply for government subsidies.
Excuse my French.
As long as you're not applying on his behalf you have all the rights of any American citizen.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does Green Card go bye-bye at the same time?

This could be a self-solving problem . . . .
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Does Green Card go bye-bye at the same time?

This could be a self-solving problem . . . .
you know i actually want to be happy, not make others miserable. if i end up divorcing him, i will make sure it doesnt compromise his green card because he wants to be here in the states.

the revoking on a green card will have long standing effects on his life, and i really dont want to make an amend over such a horribly b*tchy thing.

just because i dont want him in my life doesnt mean i'm going to destroy his.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is there anyone at a DV program that could help you find temporary housing? You don't have to be physically abused to receive help from the DV system and it's not like applying for government assistance.

At one time I was able to go there for free counseling and they would have helped me find affordable housing should I have chosen to take that road. They also have lots of other resources you can use/call. Maybe a lawyer could help you navigate some of the legalities of splitting given your current situation and the green card status. I believe there are ways of getting through this with your personal morals still intact, but you have to believe it too Luri.

Don't be scared to reach out, you may have more options than you realize.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Luri---you don't have to LIVE with him.

It does seem like he has no moral problem with detroying YOUR life.

Still, you don't have to live with him.

You can get a legal separation. If you will please contact the dv hotline--they can get you free legal consultation---and, it will be completely confidential.

dandylion
Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hi

something you wrote about you not wanting to destroy his life stood out at me. you are not all powerful, right? you cant make him act nicely, right? why do you think that you have the power to destroy his life? he is an adult?

we ALL have consequences for our actions/choices. you sound like you might be trying to control his consequences.

please consider just worrying about yourself and let him worry about himself. that is actually a very repectable thing you can do towards him.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luri View Post
you know i actually want to be happy, not make others miserable. if i end up divorcing him, i will make sure it doesnt compromise his green card because he wants to be here in the states.

the revoking on a green card will have long standing effects on his life, and i really dont want to make an amend over such a horribly b*tchy thing.

just because i dont want him in my life doesnt mean i'm going to destroy his.
Not talking about you doing anything.

Just getting you out of the mess, so you will stop enabling him.

His Green Card is His Problem. That is why it is called His Green Card.

Treating you bad, and Dry Drunking will likely have some consequences in his life. Not your problem unless you wish to make it so.

Never get between an A and their consequences.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A person who wants a green card to stick and not be revoked shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them...
I wonder where he gets that very cockey attitude that he can treat you so badly while wanting something only be married to you can provide?
Seems the man has few smarts, as well as no respect...
in the end, if he lost his green card and had to go back to wherever, is it really your fault that you didn't put up with abuse in order for him to get a green card?
Hon...who says that he isn't using you simply to get that green card? Because what he's doing SURE DOESN'T SOUND LIKE LOVE.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmv View Post
well my anger got me in marriage counseling and my wife is happy I agreed to it. I had a few issues that we'rent getting solved in meetings and we're on a better path today. sorry you're having issues
Counseling can be very helpful. For a lot of people I think, the AA program is not enough to enable them to deal with their intense anger, especially when it stems from childhood trauma.

After my husband quit drinking, he was angrier than ever. I have gotten much better at detaching, and I didn't take it personally, but I felt really sorry for him because I could see that he was suffering. I knew he needed professional help. And I also didn't want me or my kids to live in this angry environment any longer. So I told him that he had to go to counseling, or we were going to live apart.

He chose to go to counseling, and although he wasn't happy about the idea at first (naturally), he seems to have really bonded with his counselor, and I am seeing a lot of positive change in him already. I know there is a long road and we will still have many bad days, but I feel positive that at least he is on the path to recovery now.

Just something to think about. Also though, please do not ever let yourself be treated like trash. And please remember that when his rage is focused on you, it has nothing to do with you personally, you are simply the nearest and most convenient target. From what I have learned, people with rage usually have some kind of unresolved pain inside, and they do not want to think about it, so they focus their negative feelings on someone else. It's a very poor way of dealing with their pain, which is why they need to get professional help to learn better ways of dealing with their feelings. And in the meantime, their abusive behaviour should NOT be accepted by their loved ones. Please do what you need to to take care of yourself. ((hugs))
Old 11-08-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yep. this is exactly why im going to reach out to program people from now on. those who actually work a program.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What does "dry drunk" mean?