Frustrated, son not sleeping

Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Ruby,
Yes, you can get it from the natural food store. Since it's magnesium, just know if can give loose stools so perhaps start w/half the recommended amount and work your way up. Hope it helps you; you may even give it a whirl. Anxiety causes loss if the mineral. It's been helpful for night leg cramps, restlessness, and insomnia.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thumper makes some good points - we had to move DD9's bedtime to 9pm not long ago because 8:30 was just too early for her somehow. At the same time we changed the routine so that she is reading for the 45-60 minutes just before bedtime, in her room. So instead of going to bed at 8:30, she goes to her room at 8-8:15 and reads until 9pm. If she's still in overdrive (for the same reasons as your DS, anticipating a test or project at school, etc.) she takes her 1/2 melatonin tablet around 8:45 so that it doesn't drag over past 9pm. It took some adjusting to the timing as we took our cues from her behavior.

For those of you that had issues with drowsiness upon waking after using melatonin, I wonder were you using a straight melatonin supplement? The one we use is an herbal blend with melatonin, lemonbalm, chamomile (I think - going off memory here) so I wonder if this blend is a bit more mild because we never experience that after using it even though I've heard a lot of people say that they do. In fact, as long as I have at least 3 hrs to sleep I can take a half pill in the middle of the night upon waking & have no ill effects the next morning. That's what I love about them - those nights of waking at 1am and tossing & turning & then being a zombie for the next day wore me out big time & this put an end to that completely.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I use the "Sleepy Time" tea.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bed, bath, book sounds good. There are lavender bath salts/fizzies you can get that have relaxing aroma. Also with my boys, a lot of times we'll spend 30 or 45 minutes before bedtime playing Legos- no TV, video ,etc. If you can get your son focused on something constructive and relaxing, that might help with some of the bedtime battle. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Recovered

My son was unable to take a therapeutic dose of any one ADHD med. He was exquisitely sensitive to them and had horrid side effects. Amphetamine group made him stay up till 3am and become anorexic. Intuniv made him sleep at school. The other group (straterra) made him feel sick. UGH

Ds, then 8, ended up on smaller doses of multiple drugs, giving him the help he needed without the side effects. (ie 5 mg of Focalin and 2mg of Intuniv together....essentially half dose of each and timing of giving the med was important too). Also, switching to and/or from an 'XR' formulation helped. It really took time and effort, but we found what worked for him.

I also did melatonin at night when needed. But later we didn't need it.

Once his meds were up and running, he went to bed at 7pm and slept until it was time to get up in the morning.