How long are you "in recovery"?

Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long are you "in recovery"?

I'm not sure how to ask this or exactly what I'm looking for in response - it's likely just my mind working overtime on the semantics.

So, I've been "in recovery" as a codie for about 2 years now. It's definitely a fluid process - sometimes moving faster with big epiphanies & sometimes slowing to a crawl through a period of lesser awarenesses or distractions of "real life" responsibilities like parenting, etc.

I'm WORLDS away from where I started. I've been out of the crisis stage for quite some time but I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm done - not by a long shot. (especially with my ACoA issues, sheesh! ) But at the same time, it sounds strange to me to simply keep referring to myself as "In Recovery"... but maybe it's that simple?

I don't do Al-Anon meetings, but maybe they have a term for this? In the Big Picture, it doesn't matter as long as I continue to grow, but there's a part of me that gets twisted up in these little details sometimes.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heh -- I've been In Recovery for several years now, and if I've learned anything, it's that I'm always going to have further to go!

The thought doesn't depress me, though. Rather, it makes me feel hopeful and confident.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So, When am I cured? Can I stop being broken yet? Ha.

I'd like to think we're all "in recovery," i.e. works in progress, always willing to grow and change. I'm also finding that my codependency has ways of rearing its head in all areas of my life (see my recent post trying to get my family to see me, in vain) and I continue to use the methods I've learned here to keep the crazies away and manage my business with a more peaceful and level head.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh, WOW--I think that I am still in recovery from being born!

dandylion
Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
So, When am I cured? Can I stop being broken yet? Ha.
LOL, I think this is part of where I get twisted - I have no expectations of ever being "fixed" or "done" but to continue to say "In Recovery" makes me feel like I'm at the starting point rather than being reflective of the growth I HAVE experienced.

Yup - codie semantics, I knew it!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great question

My user name is LifeRecovery because I feel like it has been a work in progress for me.

There are so many recoveries I can put time frames too that I just finally decided I am recovering from life.

13 years from an eating disorder, three in Al-Anon. When I start putting time frames to it all it makes me feel more sick now then I was then.

Often for me it is the lense/perspective I put on it that gets me into trouble. I guess my question for you is how do you define "in recovery?"
Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeRecovery View Post
Great question

My user name is LifeRecovery because I feel like it has been a work in progress for me.

There are so many recoveries I can put time frames too that I just finally decided I am recovering from life.

13 years from an eating disorder, three in Al-Anon. When I start putting time frames to it all it makes me feel more sick now then I was then.

Often for me it is the lense/perspective I put on it that gets me into trouble. I guess my question for you is how do you define "in recovery?"
Excellent share. I think your question is exactly what I'm trying to determine for myself.... I don't think I ever thought of it until this all started rolling around in my head over the last few days. I guess I'm working at coming up with a personal definition.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I have a little over 10 yrs in Al-Anon, recovery, life changes - whatever anyone chooses to call it ~

For me, when I share my story I call 09-03-03 my sanity date ~ the day I started to try something different to start having a sane life.

For me, I know I will always be "in recovery" because it appears I am constantly affected by the disease of alcoholism and my HP seems to think that I need to have some interaction with others that are affected by this disease too.

Just my e, s, & h

pink hugs
Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been in AlAnon about 18 months or so- took 50 years to get here, so probably will take another 50 to dig myself out- and I used to look at those members with 25 or 30 years and cry!!!
Looking forward to lifelong membership- Progress not Perfection, now that's my slogan!!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I kind of have a Buddhist perspective on this. I don't see recovery as something I'm in, but rather a path that I follow. When I follow the path my life is simply better and that's something I don't want to give up.

Your friend,
Old 10-22-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Oh, WOW--I think that I am still in recovery from being born!

dandylion
OMG... YOU TOO?!!!! I mean, Coming from where I did, it's a wonder I'm not a full blown druggy/alcoholic. Nope. I'm sure people think somethings up with me though... I like to keep'em on their toes scrating their heads wondering WTF is wrong with me for the most part.

As for the question... I'm definitely just beginning. Seems like when I started right before the accident (although he noticed, it didn't stop it), things got better for me when I took all of my energy off of him, that should have been for me in the first place. No matter what happens, that will never change. So, I'm a piece of work... as my dad's friend would say, she's something else! Never know what she'll do or say next! lol