Balance

Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Balance

Your capacity to do good in your environment is directly related to your own balance and ability to maintain a responsible life. If you are excessively self-centered, you will be unable to focus on your commitments to others sufficiently. If you are excessively other-centered, you will diminish your own capacity to do good for others by depleting your energy and efficiency. All life depends on balance to sustain itself.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm out of balance right now
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Sookie10 View Post
Thank you. I'm out of balance right now
Than you may be in the right place, right now.

Matches what the Alanannies tell me -- "EVERYTHING is right where it should be, right now."

I have a hard time with that sometimes. But am not yet able to dispute it.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Something might be missing in that though...

How about if you are too other-centered you may fail to take care of your own needs?

Seems that is the most common behavior here....
Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueSkies1 View Post

How about if you are too other-centered you may fail to take care of your own needs?

Sometimes to find balance you need to be out of balance first. After a meeting a bunch of us were talking about what they would change in their past. I said I wouldn't change anything because each and every thing that happened to me needed to happen exactly the way it did for me to be where I am now. I am very content with my life as it is and the lessons I have learned about what's really important even if it did take 59 years to get there.

Your friend,
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

When I am not at peace or balanced within myself ~ I find for me personally I am NO good to anyone ~ not myself, my family, my co-workers, my friends nor to a stranger on the street.

When I work on my inner peace ~ it seems no matter comes my way ~ I am able to share peace with all I encounter ~ even the crazy drivers, rude store clerk, or my grumpy tired self.

My journey on this path called life and the help of recovery has taught me this lesson ~ sometimes in a very hard way. But hey, that's how I need to learn some things ~

pink hugs
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've previously had a weird balance. I would seem to seek out these women that needed "rescued" or some weird desire for a "fixxer-upper"(never again btw!) I would devote so much time and energy outward that eventually I would bubble up and do a bunch of selfish things for a short spurt, then the cycle repeats.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Sometimes to find balance you need to be out of balance first. After a meeting a bunch of us were talking about what they would change in their past. I said I wouldn't change anything because each and every thing that happened to me needed to happen exactly the way it did for me to be where I am now. I am very content with my life as it is and the lessons I have learned about what's really important even if it did take 59 years to get there.

Your friend,
Mik3,

You and I are opposites then - there is SOOOOO much of the past I would change, so, so much.. Keeps me stuck and not at peace, however. I need to move towards where you are.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueSkies1 View Post

depleting your energy and efficiency
Old 10-22-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post

Your friend,
This!!! I am no longer angry at the circumstances of my past. Sure, I was dealt a pretty crappy hand in life, but I feel that has made me stronger. Had my AM been a normally functioning human being, I would have still grown up in the same upper-middle-class family, but I likely would have been a selfish, heartless brat who delighted in all of the trimmings that life affords. Instead, I learned caring and compassion in a desperate attempt to NOT be like my FOO. I got a more realistic handle on life as far as Things are concerned. Yes, I went a bit too overboard in the "caring for other people" department, but I'd rather that than be a heartless biotch. But that's just me. I wouldn't trade my life now for anything. None of what I have would exist had it not been for my crazya$$ upbringing. It took 30 years and a boatload of therapy, but I don't regret the path that got me here.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am working on finding a balance when dealing with my daughter; it's easier said then done but I am trying.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

Bah, I got OT again. The downside of posting from my phone is I lose the OP and I'm too lazy to go back and look. Hahaha.

Yeah, that balance thing is still hard. I'm doing better at taking care of Me first before everyone else, but having kids threw me off-kilter big time. I get serious Mom Guilt if I'm not giving every spare minute to my kids. I blame that mostly on the media and this societal thinking that moms have to be perfect. Nothing less is acceptable. I need to apply the same thinking to my parenting as I do to the rest of my life: What other people think is none of my business. My goal for right now is to be comfortable lowering my standards where my home is concerned. I need more time for FUN and self-care. Laundry can wait to be folded and my living room doesn't have to be spotless.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
depleting your energy and efficiency
I need to work on that....