My first Al Anon meeting...I cried

Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first Al Anon meeting...I cried

I just got home from my first Al Anon meeting. I will definitely be going back. As soon as they asked if there were any newcomers, I started crying as I raised my hand. I know I am a crier, but I was a little surprised that raising my hand to announce my first meeting would be such a trigger.

I listened as people shared the day's topic. Some of the things were relevant to me and some where not - take what you want and leave the rest. I get it now. By the end of the meeting, I was smiling and even laughing. Everyone was so welcoming. They made it a point to make me feel comfortable (even handing me a tissue in my time of need.)

The only thing that really worries me about the meetings is my crying. I know that I cry. It is usually when I am really happy, but lately it is because I am not. I also know that I am a strong person, although right now I am not. I have seen on here that it isn't abnormal to cry at the first meeting, but that usually goes away. I hope I don't cry at the next one. Or if I do, I have my own tissues.

Anyhooo, thank you SR for preparing me for my first meeting. I felt as well prepared as this crier could as I was walking into this new situation. I find the information on these threads invaluable. Thank you, again. As my coworkers and I always declare, "You're doing a great job!"
Old 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sunshine, so glad you went and so glad you found it useful! Really, most meetings are just so filled w/kind, accepting, compassionate folks--such a great resource.

Please don't worry that crying means you're weak somehow. Letting your true emotions out is a mark of honesty to me, not weakness.

Also glad that you now understand "take what you like and leave the rest." Everyone there is in the same situation but yet different situations. The same things will not resonate for every single person. However, I don't know that I've ever gone to a meeting where SOMETHING didn't resonate for me, whether I chose to speak or pass.

Good for you for having the courage to go see for yourself what Alanon is about, and again, so happy it was a good experience for you!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Maybe you cried because deep down you felt you were finally in a safe place to let go and show your true emotions?
I bawled like a baby at my first Al Anon meeting
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, I've cried through a few. I think some here have said they cried for the first month or so of meetings. It's not a problem--believe me. Every single person in that room understands.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I have been thinking of going to my first al anon meeting. I am afraid of losing it to my tears as well. But you made me feel a step closer to going. thank you!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you sunshine for taking that first step.
The only way from here is forward.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I cried my first couple of meetings too. And I'm a really strong person. I see newcomers cry quite often when they come in too. It's pretty normal. I felt like it was a relief to be in aroom with people who understood. So I cried.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wolfpackfan45 View Post
I cried my first couple of meetings too. And I'm a really strong person. I see newcomers cry quite often when they come in too. It's pretty normal. I felt like it was a relief to be in aroom with people who understood. So I cried.
Man, that is exactly it, isn't it? Just such a relief to know that you're not alone, you're not crazy for thinking living this way is wrong, you're not unreasonable to want a conscious, coherent, responsible partner...just a relief on so many different levels. Letting go of that iron grip of control over EVERY SINGLE DAMN THING is just such a relief. I cried too.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I cried at almost every meeting for the first two months and I'm not a big crier. I just got used to bringing tissues. I think people are used to the crying and were always very nice.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't ever be afraid to cry. If you need to cry-let it rain sister! I haven't cried enough. I am headed to my first Al Anon meeting tomorrow night. I did the "Family Meeting" at the rehab my husband was in last week. I didn't cry, but instead I felt like I talked alot, but I guess that is what you are suppose to do. I felt insecure. I also felt like I was too matter-of-fact about my current situation...as if I have the perfect Alcoholic Husband! Sigh...

The counselor asked us to describe 3 things we were feeling and I said..Peaceful, hopeful and just riding the waves right now.

Fast forward one week...he is now 3 weeks sober. I feel very resentful, hurt, sad, scared, and tired today.

Hoping the Al Anon meeting tomorrow will begin to help me to help myself through this...and I hope I will cry because it might make me feel better!

Stay strong!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

wow. Crying right out of the gate.

Fast and Hard start. You will do fine.

Now Keep Running.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Sunshine. I remember my first Al-Anon meeting. I cried in the parking lot before the meeting started, during the meeting, and driving all the way home after. But you know what? I felt better! I still cry a lot at meetings. But when I'm not at meetings, I'm the type of person who always says they're 'fine' when people (normies) ask. The fact that I'm crying is a clue to how I'm really feeling about what's going on: I'm grieving.