early in recovery , added burden

Old 09-02-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

early in recovery , added burden

I'll post this here. I am early in recovery and struggling. Today I was given the added burden of taking care of my elderly mother. I am overwhelmed with this news. I can barely take care of myself. I can't , how will I. It's been said God only gives us what we can handle , this is a bit much. My sister was but after some sort of argument between the two she dumped it all on me. How can I and recover too

Tr
Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Dear God
I Want to Take a Minute Not to Ask for Anything
But to Simply Thank You
For What I Have
I LIKE you.

dunno about that "God will not give us what we cannot handle," stuff. I have heard folks say that and variations of it, but I do not see that to be the case.

Usually seems the opposite. More than we can handle . . . at least by ourselves.

Look at Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

A condition all based in More Than be handled. Except of course to Call on God.

Same for you, now? More than you can handle and down right unmanageable.

Wonderful place to find yourself in the 12 Step World. Praise God.

Yunno What?!??!?! My Phone just rang with the 4:00 Call To Prayer!

Might as well be yours.

Looks like we have a winner on Line 1. God, what do have for trikyriky today?

=================

Dear God,

Please heal trikyriky's heart, mind and soul. Help trikyriky carry the loads of sobriety and honoring the duty of caring for an elderly parent. Please brightly bless trikyriky to walk in Your will and Your way, to Your honor and Your Glory.

IJN, Amen.

=========

Do I hear a second?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TR - I won't lie and say it will be easy, but I can say it's possible. Not sure what all is involved in taking care of your mom, but is it possible to get someone else to help out?

Though I know it's not the same, I recently quit smoking cigarettes (for what I pray is the last time). I'd tried, but always gave in to some stressful thing(s). I kept telling myself I just couldn't get through whatever without my smokes. Well, I have for almost a month and it's been a pretty stressful month.

Stick with us, reach out for all the f2f support you can (for recovery and in taking care of your mom) and don't use.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy