First Step

Old 05-26-2004, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Red face First Step

My name is Siobhan and this is my first time to an Al-anon site. I am here to learn how to let go of an Alcoholic Parent that I Protect as if she was my child. Constantly worring what is going to happen next. I am here to learn how to move on with my own life.
I have started to take my first step. I gave up trying to speak to my mother about my feelings so I wrote it in a letter. it was 8 pages long. It was just my way of telling her that I can no longer keep picking up the pieces of her life for her if she is not willing to do it on her own. At first she told me to go F*&%k myself. No she just pretends that it meant nothing and throws bits and pieces in my face when ever she can. My constant quest to make sure that I don't become what she has become, has failed. The main things I hate about her, I realize I do the same things. I have found the schedule for Al-anon meetings in my area but they are mainly during the week and during the morning hours. I am unable to attend do to work. I thought I should give the online thing a try.
If anyone has suggestions for me, I would be more then happy to recieve them.
I Just want to feel good about myself again and that I am not a bad person for walking away from my alcoholic parent.
Thank you for having this forum and giving me the oppotunity to add my parts.
I look forward to coversing with people.

Thanks,
Shiv
Old 05-26-2004, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shiv - and welcome! Pull up a chair and make yourself at home - you're among friends here. Check out the "sticky' posts at the top of this forum - there's some good info there to get you started. We also have an Adult Children of Alcoholics forum, so be sure to check it out.

Welcome again!
Old 05-26-2004, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Welcome Siobhan,
We are glad you found us. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Make yourself at home here. There is also an Adult Children of Alcoholics forum here. Browse the forums. Be sure to check out the Powerposts at the top of the forums. There is some great information there. Hope you come back often and share, vent or visit. Good luck with your f2f meeting. Let us know how it goes. Hugs, Magic
Old 05-26-2004, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Looks like Margo and I posted at the same time.LOL.