Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

For those still in a relationship or on the fence - A question

For those still in a relationship or on the fence - A question

Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I had a friend that actually tried to do this... I was only divorced for a few months and she tried to set my up with a friend of a friend.. Come to find out he is a recovering A... I told my friend no way in hell!!! She saw what I went through trying to divorce my addict and all the hell I went through.. My boss told me I shouldn't be so picky and judgmental that I should lower my standards... Sigh;;; I told her that was my problem to begin with.. My standards were not high enough..

I think that well meaning friends that have never dealt with addiction truly don't understand what it's like to live with someone like that... I will never ever ever date an addict or alcoholic again, I don't care how many years of sobriety that person has.. Been there done that and got the T-shirt
Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

God no. I;'ve already made the decision that if he should decide that recovery isn't worth it, and gives up, we're done... and if I ever get in another relationship, it will be substance FREE. No smoking, no alcohol, no pills, nothing. It's not worth it. It's not an interest of mine anyway.

Relationships are hard enough without alcohol abuse.