How do you know if you're addicted?

Old 05-23-2004, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gracie1953

How do you know if you're addicted?

I've read several posts here that mention being addicted to the A in one's life. I think I have a pretty good idea of what defines an A/Addict in terms of behavior, but not many (if any) of those behaviors apply to me. Yet, I find myself wondering why I am having such a tough time letting go. Am I really addicted, or am I grieving, or what?

I have this recurring fear that if the A I just dumped showed up on my doorstep, I'm not sure I could turn him away, despite all the stuff he's put me through.

How is being addicted to a person defined?

Gracie

Old 05-23-2004, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Gracie,
There is a really good power post in the relationships forum called "Obsessive Love" that talks about relationship addiction.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21155
Old 05-23-2004, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gracie1953

Thanks, Gabe. That was quite informative. Fortunately, I meet very few of the criteria and some of them I used to meet, but don't anymore.

Whew!!

Gracie

Old 05-23-2004, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi gracie

I feel very much like you do. ANd I didn't see myself in the obsessive love column either.

But I did see myself in Codependent No More, by Melody Beattie. I never thought I'd find myslef actually going to s book store and buying myself a book on this topic. But after several people swore by it, I went and got it. And good lord is it me.

Take a look, it might help you as its helped me.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

one more thing...

and don't be mislead by the phrase 'codependent' either. AT first i thought that couldn't be me because I am an incredibly strong and independent woman. I make the money, run the hous,e make all the tough decisions, do the taxes... you name it.

But codependent is an emotional thing, a way you need the other person emotionally.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

While we're on the subject of books, Robin Norwood's "Women Who Love Too Much" is an excellent read as well.
It was kind of scary for me though. I had no idea that she was following me around and documenting my life for her book.
Gabe
Old 05-24-2004, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with jessieandme. I never even considered reading a book on codependecy. I was so normal and logical. I was just married to somebody who was screwed up. I read the first five pages of "Codependent No More" and couldn't believe it - I did have a problem.
The great thing is that, once I admitted that I had a problem, I could look at it and do something about it. That was very freeing.
L