What a Weekend !

Old 05-24-2004, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a Weekend !

It was one of those weekends - I'm sure you know what I mean.

My in-laws were visiting over the weekend from out of town. My H's mother and his current stepdad both drink. I don't know why his mom has to say things that hurt my feelings all the time but she does. Did my best to detach from it. They sit around all weekend drinking and ignoring me. I got through that OK.

Then, on Sunday, my H was out "working in the yard" aka drinking. He decided to climb up on the roof and trim the branches away from the house and fell. He landed on the driveway and split the back of his head open - blood everywhere. I looked on the net for the symptoms of a concusion which are, ironically, the same as the symptoms of being drunk.

Does your H decide to do stupid, dangerous things when he's drinking? What's with that?
TGIM - L
Old 05-24-2004, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gracie1953

Lorelai,

Sometimes I think it is a distraction for them. They drink to distract themselves from their internal pain and then they do stupid things to distract them from the fact they are drinking.

Gracie

Old 05-24-2004, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Gracie -
I guess maybe he's always doing projects around the house when he's drinking to prove that his drinking doesn't keep him from doing anything.
I always pictured alcoholics laying on the couch in their underwear with piles of beer cans around them. That would be safer than climbing on the roof with a chain saw - huh?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

I think you might be right about that Lorelai. My H would insist he was fine while he was nodding off behind the wheel. He would try to do computer work and pass out. He couldn't understand why the things that he needed to do kept getting harder and harder for him, even though it was obvious to me. He blamed all kinds of other things for his problems. That was the disease talking. I don't know if he knew reality at that time. I know he didn't know how bad off he was. He still doesn't remember things the way I do, even though he is sober. He still does things that I think are dangerous or not very smart, like not take care of his health and run himself ragged with work. I try not to let it bother me too much. He is responsible for him. Hugs, Magic