PFA & Custody question

Old 07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PFA & Custody question

Hoping someone can give alittle insight here. I have a PFA on my AH that lasts till November. When I got it, I had just moved from the home. The kids were still in school. I am in a different school district now, about 15 minutes from AH's house. I was given temporary legal and phsyical custody of the kids with no visitation requested. With school starting in another month, will I be able to change their school without having to get permission from AH?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I might be completely wrong about this, but....

I think since you have primary custody and their legal address is your legal address, the school district they belong to is based on your address. So, by default, I think, they are now in the new school district.

I'm sure someone who knows far more will be along soon!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I'm one who knows more, but I'd agree with Hydrogirl. I can't imagine that the definition of legal custody would vary too greatly from state to state. I'm pretty sure having sole legal custody means you alone have the right, obligation and responsibility to make the necessary decisions about your kids' lives: medical treatment, counseling, education, etc.

AXH volunteered to give up legal custody of DS, so the court awarded me sole legal custody. It took me quite a while to realize that having sole legal custody of DS meant I was free to make the big decisions and didn't have to wait for AXH to agree or to negotiate if he didn't. I need to keep him informed, but I don't need his approval.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

"Legal custody" means you make the decisions. And the kids, by law, go to school where they live, so really, there is no decision to be made (unless they are in private school). Get them registered in the new school.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MyFreedom,
My PFA granted me the same rights and responsibilities for my boys. I concur with what Lexie said, based on my experiences with a PFA.
I do think it is good you are keeping Dad informed...but you get to decide what is best and what works for you at the moment.
Good luck. I know that this is difficult to navigate. Keep your focus on doing what is right for the children...it will keep you on the right track.
Hugs,
MamaKit