How much of the breakup with AEXBF is my fault?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering!

How much of the breakup with AEXBF is my fault?

I'm so confused. We certainly both did things that were unhealthy for our relationship, but most of the problems were normal stuff for how long we'd been living together (two years). Nothing that couldn't be worked through.

A year ago, he started drinking. His family has addiction issues and he has been to rehab in the past. The drinking got to its worst in November, when he started cheating on me with the neighbor.

He proposed to me in December. I found out about the (still ongoing) cheating in January. He said he wanted to break up with me, but then we decided to work on things. He said he needed space to work on his recovery, so we agreed that I'd move out for six months. He kept sleeping with the neighbor. We weren't sure where things were headed, and I mostly focused on my own recovery.

By the end of March, he and I were making progress in our relationship. He said he only wanted to be with me. He said that he knew he used sex with the neighbor like a drug, and that if we had sex, we could be together again. So on Easter, we had sex, but sometime over the next two days, he changed his mind, saying he had feelings for the neighbor, and was confused and unsure of what to do.

A few weeks ago, he told me (angrily over the phone) that he was "done" with me. Now he and the neighbor are in a relationship (because the first year of recovery is exactly when you should be dumping people and starting new relationships...?) and I am so hurt.

I don't want him like he is; he's an incredibly unhealthy person. But I wanted to give therapy more of a chance, and recovery a chance, and see where we went. The woman he's with was most attracted to him at the lowest point of his addiction. She also has a daughter almost my age, which is weird. Our therapist maintains that she is a distraction from his recovery, and has told him so.

ANYWAY, enough about him! When I talk to others who know about addiction/have attended Al-Anon, etc, they all seem to suggest that all of this crap is my EXABF not working on recovery. Everyone seems to make it pretty clear that the responsibility for most of what's happened is on him. When his dad (who knows a LOT about addiction and codependency) talk, his dad said he's deflecting a lot of blame onto me, and that he's not taking recovery seriously/he's still all talk. But when EXABF and I talk, he reminds me that I'm not taking nearly enough responsibility for what went wrong, and a lot of this is on my shoulders, too.

Is he right? How much of it is my fault? He himself told me that the way to know if an addict's lying is to see if their lips are moving. I have no idea what to believe from him, but I do know I have a history of believing him even when I shouldn't.

What do you guys think? How much of this should I own?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The fact you haven't broken free from someone who is in active addiction, and coninues to cheat - that's what you own. You gave him s*x on Easter to supposedly keep him - he hooked you in big time. A's are master manipulators, and he's got you right where he wants you.

You didn't make him cheat, you didn't make him drink, you didn't MAKE him do anything. He continues to cheat, he pretty much tells you he wants this other person, and you just go along with it.

He said to you he was "done" - take that gift and run with it. And then run to your doctor and get checked for STDs, because who knows what she shared with him - she doesn't seem like an overly upstanding individual.

My dear, you deserve much better. Get yourself well emotionally and psychologically, and go get it at some point. You are better than anything thing he can provide you.

Best of Luck,
C-OH Dad
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Loving an alcoholic is a merry-go-round of emotions and from my experience, it ends in heartbreak all too often.
It seems that in any relationship breakdown, there are parts that need to be owned by each party. We all make mistakes and do things wrong at times. Most likely, your mistakes could have been worked through in a healthy manner if it were a healthy, productive relationship. This is not the case with a relationship involving an active alcoholic though. Alcoholics are most times unable to cope with normal relationship issues and every little thing sets off a dramatic chain of events with them.
I know first hand how manipulative the active alcoholic can be when they are deferring their issues and shortcomings onto a partner. My STBXAH almost had me convinced that every issue in our marriage was caused by me before I came to my senses, shook the cloud from my head and left. They are unable to take responsibility for their actions and use defense mechanisms in order to not have to. Deferrment is a big one. He is sleeping with the neighbor, but it is ok in his mind because you did something wrong to cause it? My STBXAH cheated with 4 women over the course of a year, all of which he told were his soulmates, I was crazy, he had to get away from me, planned a new life with them..... One, he ran away with (2 states away) while I was pregnant because he needed a fresh start. He of course came back because he couldn't get everything he needed from them and I was dumb enough to allow him to use me. Sound familiar?
The high of sex or a new relationship is like a drug to an addict/alcoholic. They will use it just the same as their drug of choice. When the high wears off though, they are right back where they started. You may have made mistakes in your relationship, but it sounds like the breakdown is coming from his addiction and choices.
Al-anon would be a great help to you as you move through this process. Only you know what is right for you, but when you are able to get help and support from others who have been through similiar and you are able to hear stories about the same behavior from other alcoholics, it offers peace and understanding. Good luck to you.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Listen to the people in your life that are healthy and have a record of being honest with you. I'd say your XBF doesn't fall into the category. The people that have recovered, such as his Dad, or your friends from AlAnon have nothing to gain from dishonesty, whereas he does.

Lastly listen to YOURSELF. Do you honestly think the things he did were your fault? From the mistakes you made the only thing that could have possibly happened was him cheating? Did you walk him over the neighbours and MAKE him cheat? I'm guessing not. That's all on him, however much he doesn't want to accept it. Have you tried Al-ANon for yourself? It can help you see situations like this for their reality, rather than what someone else wants you to see them as.

One of my favourite things I've learnt here is "that when an addict shows you who they are BELIEVE THEM!".
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

whoa...WHY wasn't him sleeping with somebody ELSE a dealbreaker for YOU? why, knowing he was still sleeping with her, did you "try" to work on things? those are the questions you should be asking....why did you continue to accept what is normally considered absolutely Unacceptable behaviors??? and then when it finally falls apart, try so hard to figure out what YOU did wrong? he does not VALUE you whatsoever and yet you gave him the power to determine your worth......
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He himself told me that the way to know if an addict's lying is to see if their lips are moving.
Believe him.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First let me say I am very sorry for all you have been through. I know how painful times like these are.

I think your part in all of this is figuring out why you have stayed enmeshed with someone who has demonstrated no commitment to you, no respect towards you, and who treats you very poorly. We tend to accept what we think we deserve. I am pretty sure I have read your story in other threads and that you have been through a very difficult time in your life.

We tend to repeat what is familiar (and therefore safe) in our relationships, and sometimes that means going out and finding someone who is going to reinforce all of our negative feelings about ourselves. Changing this pattern often requires a conscious decision on our part to want something better, and then seeking help to get there. I went through five years of private counseling. Other people have found a new path through the twelve steps.

Through counseling I was able to accept who I am, where I came from, and that what happened to me when I was a child was not my fault. I was also able to learn that the tools I had developed as a child -- the ones that helped me survive my AM and all the anger in our house -- were no longer relevant, that in fact, they were a detriment to me as an adult. This process meant spending a lot of time NOT in a relationship (scary for me!) for the first time in my life, but eventually I got to a place where, because I believed I deserved better, I was able to make better relationship decisions.

Sending you hugs and strength.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by arabhorseluvr View Post

What do you guys think? How much of this should I own?
Only the part that includes you staying with this guy for this long.

And I mean that with sincerity. I'm sure there are things along the way that you may have been wrong about - but the biggest one here is thinking this guy has some kind of worth to you. He doesn't. Let your neighbor have him. They deserve each other.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering!

Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
Listen to the people in your life that are healthy and have a record of being honest with you. I'd say your XBF doesn't fall into the category. The people that have recovered, such as his Dad, or your friends from AlAnon have nothing to gain from dishonesty, whereas he does.
This is so true. I am so tempted to believe him though. He said I never trusted him enough, but in some ways, I trust(ed) him too much.

Lastly listen to YOURSELF. Do you honestly think the things he did were your fault? From the mistakes you made the only thing that could have possibly happened was him cheating? Did you walk him over the neighbours and MAKE him cheat? I'm guessing not. That's all on him, however much he doesn't want to accept it. Have you tried Al-ANon for yourself? It can help you see situations like this for their reality, rather than what someone else wants you to see them as.
I want to go, but have no car (working on changing that, though). I think I found some online meetings... I should go to them. Reading others' experiences here has helped as well.

One of my favourite things I've learnt here is "that when an addict shows you who they are BELIEVE THEM!".
I should definitely keep this in mind....

Originally Posted by Tryingtoletgo3 View Post
First, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Loving an alcoholic is a merry-go-round of emotions and from my experience, it ends in heartbreak all too often.
That's how it sounds. So is it worth it?

It seems that in any relationship breakdown, there are parts that need to be owned by each party. We all make mistakes and do things wrong at times. Most likely, your mistakes could have been worked through in a healthy manner if it were a healthy, productive relationship. This is not the case with a relationship involving an active alcoholic though. Alcoholics are most times unable to cope with normal relationship issues and every little thing sets off a dramatic chain of events with them.
I agree. Nothing happened that we couldn't work through. To be honest, even the cheating didn't have to be the end of things (obviously it would if it continued). But he would counter this by saying that my codependence contributes to our problems as much as his alcoholism, and thus I should accept more of the responsibility. I don't know what to do with that.

I know first hand how manipulative the active alcoholic can be when they are deferring their issues and shortcomings onto a partner. My STBXAH almost had me convinced that every issue in our marriage was caused by me before I came to my senses, shook the cloud from my head and left. They are unable to take responsibility for their actions and use defense mechanisms in order to not have to. Deferrment is a big one. He is sleeping with the neighbor, but it is ok in his mind because you did something wrong to cause it? My STBXAH cheated with 4 women over the course of a year, all of which he told were his soulmates, I was crazy, he had to get away from me, planned a new life with them..... One, he ran away with (2 states away) while I was pregnant because he needed a fresh start. He of course came back because he couldn't get everything he needed from them and I was dumb enough to allow him to use me. Sound familiar?
Ugh that sounds awful--I'm sorry you had to go through that. And yeah, it sounds familiar.

He doesn't outright say that his cheating is my fault, of course. He says that "cheating doesn't happen in a vacuum," meaning it doesn't "just happen" if the relationship is otherwise healthy. It happens as a response to bad things in the relationship. He wasn't getting sex in our relationship. So he turned elsewhere for it. He wasn't getting sex because of some issues I have (I'll definitely own that), but he shouldn't have gone outside the relationship for it; he should have talked to me about needs he was having that weren't being met so we could work on them together. I tell him it was his responsibility to be honest with me. He had actually had told me it was okay if we -never- had sex... and he says he believed it at the time he said it, and then when he realized it was important to him, that he was just trying to not pressure me. That's all well and good, but I feel like the responsibility for that all falls on him for not being honest. I didn't make him cheat. He's all like, "I was confused," and "I was trying to be nice," and ****, and that's all well and good, but in the end... he wasn't honest.

Ugh it's so confusing.

The high of sex or a new relationship is like a drug to an addict/alcoholic. They will use it just the same as their drug of choice. When the high wears off though, they are right back where they started. You may have made mistakes in your relationship, but it sounds like the breakdown is coming from his addiction and choices.
He admitted this at one point! But he took it back, I guess, and moved forward with Nancy, his new drug of choice.

Al-anon would be a great help to you as you move through this process. Only you know what is right for you, but when you are able to get help and support from others who have been through similiar and you are able to hear stories about the same behavior from other alcoholics, it offers peace and understanding. Good luck to you.
I don't know if Al-anon is right for me, but I think I'd be doing a disservice to my recovery if I didn't try it for a while. I'm afraid of being strangely jealous of those whose addict is still in their life. I got dumped by an addict and cheater. I wasn't even good enough for him. I feel like a pretty big loser right now.

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
The fact you haven't broken free from someone who is in active addiction, and coninues to cheat - that's what you own. You gave him s*x on Easter to supposedly keep him - he hooked you in big time. A's are master manipulators, and he's got you right where he wants you.
Ugh, that's how it feels.

You didn't make him cheat, you didn't make him drink, you didn't MAKE him do anything. He continues to cheat, he pretty much tells you he wants this other person, and you just go along with it.
Except he wasn't just saying he wanted her. He just kept saying he was confused, and given how deep he seemed to be into the alcohol (and sex with her), I believed him. I guess I still believe that he's confused!

My dear, you deserve much better. Get yourself well emotionally and psychologically, and go get it at some point. You are better than anything thing he can provide you.
I got dumped by an addict. I feel pretty low and unworthy right now. And his new girlfriend kept texting me last night... ick. She's dreadful. I should just stop responding. Her messages read like a middle school girl wrote them.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
whoa...WHY wasn't him sleeping with somebody ELSE a dealbreaker for YOU? why, knowing he was still sleeping with her, did you "try" to work on things? those are the questions you should be asking....why did you continue to accept what is normally considered absolutely Unacceptable behaviors??? and then when it finally falls apart, try so hard to figure out what YOU did wrong? he does not VALUE you whatsoever and yet you gave him the power to determine your worth......
I don't think cheating has to be a deal breaker. Of course, one requirement for it to not be a deal breaker, the guilty party has to own up to it, sincerely apologize, and demonstrate through their actions that they can be worthy of trust again. So the cheating wasn't when I think I should have called it quits, but when he was unwilling to cut her out of his life entirely, that's absolutely when I should have called it quits. I let his addiction be an excuse for him.

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I think your part in all of this is figuring out why you have stayed enmeshed with someone who has demonstrated no commitment to you, no respect towards you, and who treats you very poorly. We tend to accept what we think we deserve. I am pretty sure I have read your story in other threads and that you have been through a very difficult time in your life.
It was such a sudden shift with him, from proposing to dumping, it almost felt like I couldn't keep up. I'm sure my FOO plays a role as well.

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
This process meant spending a lot of time NOT in a relationship (scary for me!) for the first time in my life, but eventually I got to a place where, because I believed I deserved better, I was able to make better relationship decisions.
I am definitely spending some time in therapy before I get into another relationship. I've already been going--have been for years--but I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"He doesn't outright say that his cheating is my fault, of course. He says that "cheating doesn't happen in a vacuum," meaning it doesn't "just happen" if the relationship is otherwise healthy. It happens as a response to bad things in the relationship. He wasn't getting sex in our relationship. So he turned elsewhere for it."

Ick--this is a load of BS that unfortunately a lot of people actually believe. Cheating happens because the cheater is behaving like a cowardly, emotional-child who won't do the mature, responsible thing and address the issues in their primary relationship as they should. Its immature, selfish acting out, pure and simple.

"I want to go, but have no car (working on changing that, though). I think I found some online meetings... I should go to them. Reading others' experiences here has helped as well."

I'll bet if you contacted your nearest AlAnon folks, they'd help you figure out transportation or an alternative way to participate--if that's what you want.

"I don't know if Al-anon is right for me, but I think I'd be doing a disservice to my recovery if I didn't try it for a while. I'm afraid of being strangely jealous of those whose addict is still in their life. I got dumped by an addict and cheater. I wasn't even good enough for him. I feel like a pretty big loser right now."

Sweetie, you are absolutely not a loser, but this guy who has been manipulating you definitely is. I think you are a wonderful person who is just starting to wake-up and realize her own self-worth. I think the fact that you are now able to question this guy's choices and attitudes and your own motivation for wanting him in your life, even if you are filled with doubts and confusion, is more progress than you may realize.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The parts that you own are:

Drinking issues and a family history of addiction – and you chose to stay.

Cheating on you – and you chose to stay.

He needed space – you chose to wait in the wings.

He was angry with you on the phone – you chose to remain in contact with him.

You don’t want him like he is – you are not accepting who he is.

It’s all him not working his recovery – your not accepting it’s over and he’s moved on.

You have no idea what to believe from him – why are you even in contact with him at this point.

lots and lots of red flags - work YOUR recovery, work on YOUR codependency and let him go!!!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think cheating has to be a deal breaker.

what would you call it then, character building? i don't mean to be snarky...but i think this IS a very important point...WHY do you not see your partner willfully having sex with somebody ELSE NOT a dealbreaker? how do you rationalize that in your own mind to make it ok to have trust and respect thrown out the window? and how on earth does I'M SORRY, PLEASE FORGIVE ME, it will never happen again fix that?

we teach people how to treat us. and if we just lay down and play DOORMAT they will assume we are a rug and walk all over us.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"I got dumped by an addict. I feel pretty low and unworthy right now."

Oh my. Your worth is not defined by this man. You almost sound as if you would feel better about yourself if he took you back. Honey - why would you want that? This is not a good man. This is a stinking, cheating, manipulative sot. Alcoholic or no, those actions are on him. And, I know. Believe me, I know - you love him, or at least the version of him that you hope he will be. But that version is a fantasy. He does not exist, and will not exist, no matter what you do.

So, one, you are not unworthy becuse a low-life dumped you.

Two, you do not need to be in a relationship or have external validation to be worthy. You can control this. You can define, for yourself, what sort of person has your respect. And then conform your choices each day to that standard.

I think you have a gapping hole in your heart and you are desperate to have someone else fill it up. I believe you can fill this hole in for yourself. You don't have to depend on him or anyone else to do it. Okay, so maybe you are lonely right now. It does not have to be that way forever. Invest in yourself and activities that you believe to be good. This will fill you with positive energy. And that will absolutely attractive positive people to you. Some of them will come to love you, whether as friends or as lovers (when you are ready for that - when you actually, truly, want that for you).

It may take some time. But it will happen, if you make space for it.

xoxoxo
Old 05-15-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering!

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
I don't think cheating has to be a deal breaker.

what would you call it then, character building? i don't mean to be snarky...but i think this IS a very important point...WHY do you not see your partner willfully having sex with somebody ELSE NOT a dealbreaker? how do you rationalize that in your own mind to make it ok to have trust and respect thrown out the window? and how on earth does I'M SORRY, PLEASE FORGIVE ME, it will never happen again fix that?
This is one I'm not willing to argue in here. I don't believe cheating has to be a deal breaker. Can it be? For sure. But I do not believe it always has to end a relationship. A lot of people don't think so, either. It definitely depends on how he handles the cheating. He didn't handle it well, obviously. I think it's okay that I gave him a second chance after cheating. I don't really think it was healthy for me to give him a fifth.

Originally Posted by MrsDarcy View Post
"He doesn't outright say that his cheating is my fault, of course. He says that "cheating doesn't happen in a vacuum," meaning it doesn't "just happen" if the relationship is otherwise healthy. It happens as a response to bad things in the relationship. He wasn't getting sex in our relationship. So he turned elsewhere for it."

Ick--this is a load of BS that unfortunately a lot of people actually believe. Cheating happens because the cheater is behaving like a cowardly, emotional-child who won't do the mature, responsible thing and address the issues in their primary relationship as they should. Its immature, selfish acting out, pure and simple.
Is it? Because I really have no idea. Do people in healthy relationships cheat sometimes? In my case, I DO believe he was behaving like a cowardly, emotionally arrested child who chose not to (he would say "couldn't) do the mature, responsible thing.

"I want to go, but have no car (working on changing that, though). I think I found some online meetings... I should go to them. Reading others' experiences here has helped as well."

I'll bet if you contacted your nearest AlAnon folks, they'd help you figure out transportation or an alternative way to participate--if that's what you want.
I will try that! Jak and I went to ACoA meetings and the folks there were wonderful. There's actually an Al-anon meeting just a couple miles from me, on the same road, so maybe I'll get lucky... it'd mean a lot to me to get to go.

"I don't know if Al-anon is right for me, but I think I'd be doing a disservice to my recovery if I didn't try it for a while. I'm afraid of being strangely jealous of those whose addict is still in their life. I got dumped by an addict and cheater. I wasn't even good enough for him. I feel like a pretty big loser right now."

Sweetie, you are absolutely not a loser, but this guy who has been manipulating you definitely is. I think you are a wonderful person who is just starting to wake-up and realize her own self-worth. I think the fact that you are now able to question this guy's choices and attitudes and your own motivation for wanting him in your life, even if you are filled with doubts and confusion, is more progress than you may realize.
You're very kind. It's very hard for me to believe this is all on him. I made mistakes in the relationship, too...

Originally Posted by Archangelesk View Post
"I got dumped by an addict. I feel pretty low and unworthy right now."

Oh my. Your worth is not defined by this man. You almost sound as if you would feel better about yourself if he took you back. Honey - why would you want that?
No! I don't want him to take me back! Not like he is! I wish that I was worth working with, that our relationship was worth working on. Otherwise... I wish I had done the dumping! Clearly, he's the more dump-worthy one.

This is not a good man. This is a stinking, cheating, manipulative sot. Alcoholic or no, those actions are on him. And, I know. Believe me, I know - you love him, or at least the version of him that you hope he will be. But that version is a fantasy. He does not exist, and will not exist, no matter what you do.
I remember the first few years, before the drinking. It was so good. He was wonderful and attentive and a better communicator.... I miss that man, and I don't understand why he had to drown.

Two, you do not need to be in a relationship or have external validation to be worthy. You can control this. You can define, for yourself, what sort of person has your respect. And then conform your choices each day to that standard.
It's hard, too, that his friends seem to think this is better. They thought he should have dumped me a while ago! Ugh. I do feel invalidated... but not just by "my" addict... also by all of his non-addict friends.

I think you have a gapping hole in your heart and you are desperate to have someone else fill it up. I believe you can fill this hole in for yourself. You don't have to depend on him or anyone else to do it. Okay, so maybe you are lonely right now. It does not have to be that way forever. Invest in yourself and activities that you believe to be good. This will fill you with positive energy. And that will absolutely attractive positive people to you. Some of them will come to love you, whether as friends or as lovers (when you are ready for that - when you actually, truly, want that for you).
I'm definitely not rushing into another serious relationship... I'd probably end up with someone just like him. And my heart can't do this all over again. In the meantime, I am surrounded by wonderful friends.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering!

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Drinking issues and a family history of addiction – and you chose to stay.
I did, but is that why our relationship deteriorated?

Cheating on you – and you chose to stay.
I did. This one I addressed.

He needed space – you chose to wait in the wings.
I still can't decide how I feel about this. He said he was so confused. It's my fault for believing him. But I'm more talking about the problems we were having before he needed space.

He was angry with you on the phone – you chose to remain in contact with him.
I did. We've cut off most communication as of now, and plan to keep it that way for at least a few months.

You don’t want him like he is – you are not accepting who he is.
I thought about that as I wrote that part. And no, I guess I'm not accepting him as he is anymore... a cheating addict. But he says he wants to change (they all probably say that, huh?)... so he's not accepting who he is, either. It's just this strange person who has recently become present that I'm not okay with. Is this the real Jake? Or was the real Jake the one I knew for the first two years?

You have no idea what to believe from him – why are you even in contact with him at this point.
He said he wanted to be friends. Now he says he doesn't, though.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It doesn't sound like ANY of the breakup was your fault. Not that you may not have made mistakes that were harmful to you, but his choices in companionship are his own responsibility. He sounds like a pretty confused person. You can't fix that.

Some people are simply broken. They may, someday, with a lot of hard work, recover from their brokenness, but in the meantime they are not going to have healthy relationships with ANYONE.

Your ex is not the first to want a wife/girlfriend and still enjoy an irresponsible lifestyle. His choice, not your responsibility.

If I were you, I would just put him down the way you would anything else incomprehensible and useless to you, and work on living a life that doesn't consist of endless pain and frustration.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't listen to what he says......watch his actions. He "wants" to change....but he has made no effort. He continues in the cheating relationship. He is a cheating addict. When someone shows you who they are .....believe them!!!!

It is not that you're not good enough for him....you are TOO GOOD for him. But until you love yourself enough to realize this you're in for a rocky road. Set your boundaries, decide how you want to be treated by others in your life.

He told you he's done with you....you can't see it now but you've been given a gift. Be done with him and start on a new healthier path. Go No Contact with this guy and the cheating gal he's with. You have NO reason to accept text messages from her, don't get pulled into that kind of destructive drama. Get into AlAnon and start working on you...don't look back.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I finally ripped off the bandaid of denial when I caught my problem drinker husband in an affair with a "good" friend of mine.

Finally after five years of knowing there was something not right about the drinking....it took an affair for me to get help.

I was able to have boundaries around the affair that I could not have with drinking (don't ask me why, but I am grateful that I did).

I do want to name this though: they both made me feel similar (regardless of his motivation for either). I felt unworthy, attacked, like I NEEDED to fix it and make it all better....for him.

If I made it okay for him he would not need to do these self destructive things.

Here is the piece I was forgetting....I had needs in the relationship too.

The great news for me was because I felt similar with both, I got to heal from both regardless of which part I was focusing on at the moment. Al-Anon (especially detachment and boundaries helped).

The three Cs were a lifesaver
I did not cause it (the affair or the addiction)
I cannot control it (the affair or the addiction)
I cannot cure it (the affair or the addiction).

I also like the way I read something about affairs. It takes two to be in a relationship and I contributed to problems in the relationship (not necessarily 50/50), but the person who had the affair had a lot of choices INSTEAD OF an affair to deal with the problems in the relationship and the choice to engage in an affair is 100% on that person.

Work by Janet Abrahm Springs helped immensely in affair healing. She also has a book on forgiveness that helped me immensely to figure out what was mine and what was not (it is not directly affair related).
Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow. I mean this as gently as possible, but he sounds like a real piece of work and from your description, you are 1000% better off without him.

For me, an affair is the end of the relationship. Once that trust is broken, that is absolutely it.

I stayed with my ex husband for 7 years after finding out that he was on dating sites pretending he was single. I don't believe that he physically cheated based on my personal investigation, but what he did was betrayal enough and damaging enough that my throat still closes up when my boyfriend even talks about female friends, despite all of the therapy I have been in. Anyway, the marriage failed, not because of his wandering, but because, as the activity indicated, he was just not committed to the relationship. It was a symptom of a fundamental personality flaw that he had.

My advice is to run far and fast. Do not look back. And if your therapist is not working for you, get a new one.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by arabhorseluvr View Post

No! I don't want him to take me back! Not like he is! I wish that I was worth working with, that our relationship was worth working on. Otherwise... I wish I had done the dumping! Clearly, he's the more dump-worthy one.
When you say, "I wish I was worth working with," you are saying that you believe that if you had value, he would have stayed with you. You are using the fact that an addict, who has proven himself to be cruel and lacking integrity, broke up with you, as proof that you are not worth someone's investment.

I mean this very kindly -

Until you decide to define your worth on your own terms, without reference to anyone else, you are going to be stuck. And the place that you are stuck is a horrible, unhappy place. Invest in yourself and find a way to build up a deep and abiding belief in your own value. When you believe that no matter what anybody else says or does, and act accordingly, you will find a peace you have not yet imagined.

You can make this better. You can FEEL better. You are completely in control of that. You don't need this man or to bother with what he is up to now. You are worth so much more than that.