How much of the breakup with AEXBF is my fault?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovering!

Originally Posted by SolTraveler View Post
Wow. I mean this as gently as possible, but he sounds like a real piece of work and from your description, you are 1000% better off without him.
I keep hearing that here, and then I hear him talk about recovery. God, he spends so much time talking about it, I don't know how I could possibly think he has any time left to do any of it.

For me, an affair is the end of the relationship. Once that trust is broken, that is absolutely it.
I guess for me that's not necessarily the case, but I believe in 2nd chances, not 8th chances.

what he did was betrayal enough and damaging enough that my throat still closes up when my boyfriend even talks about female friends, despite all of the therapy I have been in.
I'm so afraid of this happening to me.

My advice is to run far and fast. Do not look back. And if your therapist is not working for you, get a new one.
I'm thinking about looking for a new one. She's so sure of herself all the time... it bothers me.

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
It doesn't sound like ANY of the breakup was your fault. Not that you may not have made mistakes that were harmful to you, but his choices in companionship are his own responsibility. He sounds like a pretty confused person. You can't fix that.
He IS confused, and yeah, I know I can't fix it (well, uh, as such a co-dependent person, I know in my head that I can't fix it, but I don't always act like I can't fix it). I wanted to stay with him to give him a chance to work on it himself, so we could be a healthier couple.

Some people are simply broken. They may, someday, with a lot of hard work, recover from their brokenness, but in the meantime they are not going to have healthy relationships with ANYONE.
He seems to think he's going to have one with Nancy. :-/

Your ex is not the first to want a wife/girlfriend and still enjoy an irresponsible lifestyle. His choice, not your responsibility.
That's what I've said to him, but he says it takes two. Or, his exact words: "you refuse to admit that it's impossible, by definition, for a relationship to fail due to the actions of one person alone." To which I responded, "It only takes one person to choose to say 'I'm done.'" He chose that, not me.

If I were you, I would just put him down the way you would anything else incomprehensible and useless to you, and work on living a life that doesn't consist of endless pain and frustration.
This probably isn't a bad idea, but I don't want to go make all the same mistakes again if some of this was my fault!

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
Don't listen to what he says......watch his actions. He "wants" to change....but he has made no effort. He continues in the cheating relationship. He is a cheating addict. When someone shows you who they are .....believe them!!!!
I need to remember this.

It is not that you're not good enough for him....you are TOO GOOD for him. But until you love yourself enough to realize this you're in for a rocky road. Set your boundaries, decide how you want to be treated by others in your life.
He said himself that I was "too good" for him, because I would never never do this to anyone. I told him I wasn't too good for him. But maybe this is one of those places where he was right.

He told you he's done with you....you can't see it now but you've been given a gift. Be done with him and start on a new healthier path. Go No Contact with this guy and the cheating gal he's with. You have NO reason to accept text messages from her, don't get pulled into that kind of destructive drama. Get into AlAnon and start working on you...don't look back.
That's the plan. It's hard to not look back, though.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"That's what I've said to him, but he says it takes two. Or, his exact words: "you refuse to admit that it's impossible, by definition, for a relationship to fail due to the actions of one person alone." "

Actually, just one party can destroy the relationship--that's the flip side of the idea that it takes two to make it work. One party can be turning themselves inside out trying to make it work (or even just acting like a normal, imperfect but decent human being), but if the other party won't do their share then the couple is doomed. This kind of statement is designed to try to get you to carry more responsibility for his bad behavior than you should (and the amount you should carry is none).