Adult Alcholic Son

Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adult Alcholic Son

When we learned of our son's alcoholism, we were able to encourage him to go for evaluation. The facility wanted him to stay. He wouldn't. Excuses. After DUI 3 we drove him to rehab. We try.

Years later, he and family are still living a good life. Life all seems good, even with DUI 3. Yes, he is very sick. Very sad.

I am most sad for my grandchildren.

I am working at being strong, This is very difficult for me.

God gave us a gift. A beautiful little boy. Our hopes and dreams were for him to grow up and be happy. Live a life of 'ozzie and harriett' as we did. ;0

I work at being strong, every day. God gives me the strength. He is making me stronger...for something. I fear what the something might be.

I pray bottom comes before death. I pray our grandchildren can move forward in a healthy lifestyle.

Today the sun is out. We have had a few days of rain which is unusual...

I am smiling and I am going off to volunteer with my husband of 43 years. HMMM, we still have kept it together. Life is good.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Sunset,

I'm sorry for what you have to go through. I have a 3-year old and I have the same dreams for him that you do/did for yours.

I hope I can protect him from the life-changing effects of growing up with an alcoholic parent. Luckily, she only drinks after he is in bed, but once she starts drinking, she can no longer be a parent. And, as you know, parenting is a 24/7 gig.

My biggest fear is that he will follow in his Mother's alcoholic footsteps - just as my AW has followed in her alcoholic Mother's footsteps.

(((((HUGS)))))

C-OH Dad
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Big hugs back to you CentralOhioDad.

I am sorry for what you are dealing with.

There is strength in conversations of compassion and understanding. Some days we feel we are the only one with such issues. That is never the case...but we feel it some times.

Have a sunny day!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I think one of the hardest parts as a parent of an adult alcoholic/addict is that we still see them as the innocent little child ~ the apple of our eyes ~ a precious little one so filled with dreams laughter and that sparkle in their eyes ~

We remember them before the disease takes a strong hold in their lives ~

I truly believe we can always hold on to the hope that they can once again have that sparkle in their eyes ~ we just step out of the way of their HP and allow Him to work in their lives ~ not always easy but it seems to be the only solution.

wishing you and your family the best

pink hugs
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MsPINKAcres - I like the 'pink hugs'! Thank you.

Funny you say we may see them as those innocent little children. My sons (2) both hover around the 40 years old mark. I have been seeing them as young adults, but not adults. I don't know that there is a difference... but I haven't been communicating with them as I might with friends my age.

The generation in general seem to have much stress in their lives. I hear times are more difficult now than they were for us. I truly believe it is all relevant. We had our stress.

Here I am at an age of almost really retiring, and my counselor said this is a time in my life I should be sitting back, enjoying life, grandchildren, and persuing my passions. I had to think about what my passions were. Turns out my passions have been my husband, my children, and family. I developed a couple more passions after talking with her. Sometimes I am sewing (new passion) and I can't clear my head of all the thoughts of my sons, their families, their children.

Phew!

"Be present as the watcher of your mind - of your thoughts and emotions as well as your reactions in various situations. Be at least as interested in your reactions as in the situation or person that causes you to react." (Oneness With All Life)