Shick Schadel

Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shick Schadel

Tomorrow I agree to take my Bipolar AW to check into Schick Schadel for treatment. This will be her 5th treatment program so I have very little confidence in it working. I am having a hard time buying into the aversion therapy idea for a simple reason. She has already had enough bad experiences from alcohol to write a novel. How is another one going to change anything? Any experiences on this board with Schick Schadel?

As for me, I have been avoiding her and look forward to having her gone for 2 weeks. My appointment is already set with the divorce lawyer but he was busy and it's still another couple of weeks out.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

only person I "know" who went thru SS and has been clean ever since is Pat O'Day!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well Anvil. is one up on me, I know of no one that stayed sober after attending SS. Over these many years I have met lots of folks that tried SS but not a one stayed sober. The ones I have met, did later find recovery, through some of the more 'well known programs' like SMART, AA, etc.

I am glad that you have "Plan B" in the works. Keep your appointment. Even should she come out 'dry' from SS, it is still going to take a lot of work on herself, to change her actions, and that takes a long time. Maybe, somewhere down the line, if she 'embraces' sobriety and works on herself y'all may be able to 'rekindle' your relationship and maybe not.

Just remember, we are here for you, and you can vent anytime you want or need to, as I am sure those will still be coming for a while.

Glad you are looking out for you!

Love and hugs,
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Add me to the mix - Never heard of anyone successful with this method.

But - at least she is willing to try something. Prayers this is the path she needs.
~T
Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yesterday her mother came over and forced her to quit drinking. They also called and made the appointment. I agreed to drive her to the treatment center. That's going to be a fun 4 hr drive. Today I am sticking around home and working on some projects of mine. She is a mess as one would expect. She made the comment that if she had ever had it this bad before she never would have continued to drink. Yah right. I have seen in lots worse condition and that didn't stop her. Anyhow I asked her if she was coughing up blood yet. No. Well you have been lots worse before. Apparently you chose to forget about it. Its sad to see her this way but its also kinda funny in a morbid kind of way. It's all self inflicted.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Four hours in the car - might be a good time to download and play some AA speaker tapes?!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OMG, Hayfmr!! 4 h rs. driving in a car with an active alcoholic in denial---this is the stuff that nightmares are made of. Personally, I would rather stick pins in my eyes. Don't forget the serenity prayer.

Seriously, though, her recovery is up to her. I think that it is generous for you to drive her.

You are taking it one day at a time........right..?

very sincerely, dandylion
Old 04-07-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pat O'Day is long time radio celebrity here in Seattle...he was the voice of the SeaFair Hydro races...now does commercials about Schick Shadel. I hear them every day on the radio.

four hours with a detoxing drunk. UGH. you are a good man and I hope this is the last time you have to endure this.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
OMG, Hayfmr!! 4 h rs. driving in a car with an active alcoholic in denial---this is the stuff that nightmares are made of. Personally, I would rather stick pins in my eyes. Don't forget the serenity prayer.

Seriously, though, her recovery is up to her. I think that it is generous for you to drive her.

You are taking it one day at a time........right..?

very sincerely, dandylion
Going to be more like 1 mile at a time.

Just do a big countdown. This will get you started . . . .

1000 bottles of beer on the wall, 1000 bottles of beer.
Take one down, pass it around,
999 bottles of beer on the wall.

Ok, hayfmr -- you take from there.

Best to you.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think I will just play a George Strait CD and rub some salt into the wounds.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

maybe a little George Thoroughgood too?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bad to the Bone!
Yep, that's me.
:rotfxko

Aversion therapy? No, I know of no one. Even for other addictions like smoking. Or overeating.

Beth
Old 04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

curious where our Hayfmr is about now - to'ing, fro'ing and just not go'ing?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Droped her off at Shick Schadel at noon and went to meet our oldest daughter at Pike Place Market for a nice seafood lunch. The drive went a lot better than I expected. I actully saw a lot of encouraging signs from her today. She fully admits she has a problem, wants help, and dosen't want to drink again. I had reccomended that she go to a bipolar treatment program to get the tools she needs to deal with the bipolar. Today she said she thinks thats a good idea that she wants to pursue. When she took her bipolar medication she didn't drink. It's when she tried self medicating with alcohol that everything fell appart. I sure hope she can "get it" this time.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope so, too, Hayfmr! Glad to hear the drive was unexpectedly calm and you had a nice lunch with your daughter
Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AW called from treatment this morning. It appears that she really like the treatment she is getting at Shick Schadel. Not the getting sick part though, but thats good. She has really embraced the program so I am hopeful that this time she will get it. I know she can, she just has to do what she needs to do. The fact that she wants to quit drinking and change her life gives me hope that she will. Sure will be lots better than the divorce thats certain to happen if she won't change.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

What exactly do they do there? I have heard that they force the alcoholic to drink a bit & then give them low electrical shocks. It's good that she wants to work on her Bi-polar disorder. IMO, if that is not worked on the alcoholic will nearly always return to the vodka.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hayfmr, just remember to be working on your own recovery tools. Early recovery can be very bumpy...

But prayers this works for her!
~T
Old 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I want to give an update. AW went thru the program and is diligently taking part in the after care program they offer. While in the program they adjusted her bipolar meds and she is doing great. What has impressed me about the program is the after care they offer. The previous programs sent you on your way with no follow up support. The "Shick Survivors" is also a very supportive group. At the moment it's working and all is well. Just hope it continues.

I didn't think much of the aversion therapy idea when she went but for her it seems to be working. She went to the circus last week with her mother and had someone sit down beside her that had been drinking. The aversion was so strong that she had to change seats.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

good to hear from you, both you and your AW have been on my mind!!! thanks for the update and the good news. the aftercare support sounds wonderful (I hope YOU are getting some support as well???) and her experience at the circus is kind of a moment. wishing you the best.