Update on Financial Situation in Re: Ex-Husband

Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on Financial Situation in Re: Ex-Husband

Last week I posted asking advice - I was being sued by a credit card company because of a balance on a card in my name that my ex-husband ran up.

Anyway, I called and settled. They were asking for $1470 plus additional interest plus court costs plus lawyer fees. All in all, it worked out to about $2700 had we gone to court. I settled for $1232. I tried getting it reduced but they weren't going for it - the actual credit card company sued me, not a third party debt collector, s they weren't quite as willing to take as big of a loss.

It was a tetch more than I wanted to settle for but I guess considering it was less than half of what I would have spent had the judge gone their way in court (and they would have - I did owe it), I am ok with it.

Lesson learned though. I have one more balance out there for more than $700, which is the minimum they can sue for in small claims in Texas, so I will have to get the money together and settle that account too rather than go through this again.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post - you really kept me sane last weekend!!!

Alex
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad you got it resolved. Yup, it's often cheaper in terms of peace of mind to pay the money rather than stressing over a couple hundred dollars.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad that you have it resolved and out of the way! One less thing to worry about.