Husband 6 mos sober,,,,,now what??

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Originally Posted by kkelly370 View Post
I am brand new here and have absolutely no idea if this is the correct forum to use. My husband is 6 months sober. He is in AA and very active in his recovery. He has changed his whole life. I am so proud of him and SO happy that he has decided to make a positive change for himself and our family. We have been married for 14 years and have a 7 year old son. I know that my husband drank to avoid feelings about everything. I would often joke that he was "dead inside". He truly was as he was always drunk. Now that the alcohol is not numbing him 24 hours a day, he is feeling things for the first time. Over time I have noticed that he is EUPHORIC, about AA, about everything. I am finding that I am having a hard time adjusting to the 'NEW HUSBAND" I know that sounds ungrateful and selfish, but for 18 years we both had very definite roles and they are changing. I am just not sure who he is. I am starting to panic a bit, thinking maybe we don't "fit" with him being sober. Yet at the same time, I would NEVER want to go back to the hell that was his alcoholism. I feel like I am supposed to just forget about the last 18 years of hell and say "GLAD YOU HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT, LET'S SKIP DOWN THIS GOLDEN ROAD TOGETHER" ALSO as I listen to him tell me just how bad his habit was, I am angry, I feel even more betrayed. I am going back to Alanon on Monday. I know that I will get some help in dealing with this - But was curious if this is normal or I am just a complete jerk for not being the number one cheerleader in his recovery.
Thanks
its normal. I am going through a similiar situation with my ah
and yes i too feel like maybe we dont "fit"
fallow is correct. time takes time.
its hard, the whole road from addiction to recovery and were trapped sure from day one to un sure when they are. it seems we are just lost because what we knew is changing but a better us and them is right around the corner. you do not have to be the number one cheerleader ...only the number one cheerleader for yourself. eventually the feelings will die down but for now its a process. work through it in your own way and good luck