Watching from the outside

Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watching from the outside

So, here I am another day venting on here. Atleast I have somewhere where I can feel free to vent and have people who understand. So here's a new situation. My cousin who is 21 and bi polar is pregnant. But the guy she is having a baby with is an alcoholic and prescription drug addict. Don't get me wrong he's a nice guy. I knew him before they got together. But, I feel so bad... and almost in shock... this is almost the same situation that I was in with my sons father. He is not as bad but if he doesn't quit it will be bad for her and that baby. I don't want her to ever be in the situation I was in and it's like watching myself. Luckily I had a great support system... She doesn't have that. But I am scared for her. She isn't even mature enough to have a baby, and he is a wreck. Her mother was a drug addict and alcoholic and her dad is an alcoholic. I know I can't tell her what to do... but it hurts to be the person on the outside knowing what her life is going to be like. She thinks it will all work out and its just rainbows and butterflies... its just a trainwreck waiting to happen. He's been drunk the past 3 days. Its just sad...
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is sad. And in a way, why not let her have her rainbows and butterflies until they disentigrate on their own. I have yet to have anybody teach me anything in life until I was ready to learn it. Usually I had to learn it through my own experience anyway. I have avoided certain pitfalls in life, like addiction to substances, based solely on being told that drugs were bad for me, without having to experience it. For other lessons, people could have told me the outcome until they were blue in the face and I wouldn't have listened.
For now she's optimistic, happy to be pregnant? It's her parade...let the sun shine while it will...and who knows...her outcome might be different. Maybe even better. History isn't written until it's written...right?
If she's joyful for her pregnancy, I'd share in that with her. Grab the good while you can...be happy for what you can be happy for.