Telling an alcoholic you love that it's over

Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, that is what I am also finding--the peace of being away and not wondering what I will come home to, and the joy of small things that I have always taken pleasure in, but now they are my greatest pleasures.

Thank you for responding.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What I loved most after I left my alcoholic now ex-husband was not hearing how much I sucked. I never kept the house the way he wanted it, or folded his clothes the way he liked, or put his belt in the right place, or was busy enough for him. If he caught me reading he would laugh and comment about how nice it must be to lay around all of the time. Mind you this came from a guy who frequently napped and passed out because of his drinking.

After I left I went back to school and got my bachelor of science degree. While married to the alcoholic he said I could go to school for something in the IT field since those jobs paid well, but I was on my own as far as paying for it and he said he would not pick up any of the slack. He said that his life better not be affected by me being in school. Well I knew how well that would turn out with two kids and him being my third child. I would have had studying to do and papers to write and had to do all of that in the hours between 10pm and 7am.

Eight years have passed and I a still holding onto resentments. It helps to remind myself of how FREE I am now.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I admire that you did all of that. I know many who cannot find the strength or the will. And thanks for responding.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I said I needed to make decisions as if I were going to be alone for the rest of my life, I didn't mean "Woe is me, all alone." I meant I don't know if I will have another serious relationship, so it is best to plan on my own for the eventuality of permanent solo living. I appreciate your response, and I give myself all kinds of credit--I am fit, smart, well-educated, have a lovely daughter and family, many friends, a a wonderful church, and a God I hope to continue to seek and know better. Not only that, I have work I love and make a good living at.

And I've never liked Hallmark, so I agree with your wonderfully ironic humor.

I have no complaints except that my future is no longer what I once hoped it would be, and I am beginning to get used to that. My question for you is this: if you think being alone on a deserted island would be better than being with an alcoholic, why are you with an alcoholic?