Surprising Day

Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surprising Day

So, today was my AH and I's therapy session at rehab before his release - after only 6 days due to "insurance". Found out today that the insurance story he told me was actually the center's story. That was from the counselor - a point I know is crap due to a convo with our insurance company. . .but anywho. Last night, I got a call from AH basically saying if he couldn't come right back into the home he was never coming back. Evidently, he tells this to his counselor who tells him I am right - he ISN'T ready to move back in and he needs 90 meetings in 90 days to prove he is serious before we even discuss it. (Pretty sure one of you wonderful people mentioned this in my previous thread!)

Sooooo, I come expecting WW3 today, and instead am met with an apologetic AH. We discussed the affect he has had on the children, and the counselor was fantastic. We came up with expectations of his recovery, discussed what I should do in case he relapses, then met with me separately to tell me what to expect in the next few weeks. One thing he said that stuck with me, "he came here for you, but that shifted to I NEED this for recovery to work." I walked out of there hopeful for the first time in a loooong time.

Tonight, I am home. No calls, no begging texts, just calm. I know this is the test, and the hard part is just beginning, but my older boys were so happy to see their dad sober. I hope he can do this, so badly.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by CompletelyLost4 View Post
I hope he can do this, so badly.
Me too, hun, me too!

I'm glad you had a good experience with the counselor.

One Day At a Time!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you had a peaceful night, not one punctuated with calls and texts. I too hope he can do this and am glad you had a good session with the counselor.

No matter what he does or doesn't do, there is definitely hope for YOU. Given my own personal emotional roller coaster, I would just caution you to not get too hopeful. I don't mean to get all Negative-Nelly on ya, but I know the emotional cost of high hopes. Take it one day at a time, let his actions speak, and keep taking good care of yourself and your kids.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, gals! I am definitely [I]cautiously[I] hopeful. No calls last night. Called this afternoon to tell the boys happy Easter, and I told him our 5 year old has a stomach bug. Anyway, he gets Sprite for me and brings it over today, watches some NCAA basketball with the boys while I clean (total germaphobe), then leaves. No incidents, no drama, just family time. When he left today, our 12 year old hugged him and said, "I'm so proud of you, dad." AH actually teared up.

The test will be this week. AH is heading to Denver, then on to Toronto for a week. AH told me he is nervous about it, and knows it will be hard. He has info on AA meetings, but I will be surprised if he goes. Still, he keeps saying he wants to - likes the way he feels, eating more, able to relax with the boys. I am just taking it a day at a time. Time will tell!