Candy In Place Of Alcohol For the Off Nights?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Candy In Place Of Alcohol For the Off Nights?

My ABF on the 2 nights he doesn't drink I see him all of a sudden craving sweets, like candy.
Wondering whats up with that?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Extremely common. I'd say the vast majority of alcoholics crave sweets when they aren't drinking.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

it was very common for my ex ah to gorge himself with "sweets" when he was coming off alcohol or whatever substances he had been over indulging in for a couple of weeks ~ especially if it had been where he quit eating ~ many times he wouldn't eat so the effect would be stronger ~
It was a very sad thing to watch ~
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by italiungrl View Post
My ABF on the 2 nights he doesn't drink I see him all of a sudden craving sweets, like candy.
Wondering whats up with that?
Alcohol has an extremely high sugar content. This is why when we are not drinking we crave sweets.
Better then drinking. Give the liver a break.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Agree with others. My ah has craved icecream and soda.
Lol
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My EXRAG has been eating candy for 13 years - cant get enough of it. At one time she was on an anti-depressant which really knocked her out at night. I noticed she had fallen asleep, and saw one side of her mouth was abnormally swollen. I woke her up to see if she was ok. She was- she had a chocolate bell (Christmas candy) that she was sucking on packed in her cheek when she fell asleep. We had a good laugh about it.

So from what I have seen, it is normal.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Last night it was a milkshake, night before candy bars. Tonight Im sure he will drink. Its like Vegas taken bets.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband has been asking me to bring him soda & candy on my weekly visits while he's in rehab. They feed him QUITE well there - he packed on nearly 20 pounds in the last couple weeks! So um, yeah, we discussed me not bringing him extra candy any more on our visits. While he was home before rehab & still actively drinking, he was QUITE often buying candy & gorging on sweets, too. Found a great article on the connection between sweets & alcohol here - sounds incredibly common.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by italiungrl View Post
Last night it was a milkshake, night before candy bars. Tonight Im sure he will drink. Its like Vegas taken bets.
Doing things like trying to predict whether/how much the alcoholic will drink on a given occasion/day is sort of a waste of your time and energy. Eventually he will drink, as long as he is not in recovery. Whether he does it today, tomorrow, or two weeks from now doesn't really make a difference.

Most alcoholics try different "tricks" to try to manage their drinking before concluding that they can't. I had a ton of them I used, and I actually believed they were helping, until I finally woke up to the fact that even if they helped short-term, they did nothing over the long term.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As Lifewillgetbet says, it's the high sugar content in alcohol your ABF craves. My partner's therapist told him that when he has a craving to take a shot glass of water, dissolve sugar in it, and then shoot it. Not sure about the method as I would have thought the physical action of taking shots is not something he should be reenacting. Then again, I also don't believe that "smoking" nicotine inhalers is the best way to quit smoking, so maybe that's just my bias speaking. Either way, shots were never his thing so he hasn't tried this method. His pockets are always full of chocolate bar wrappers though. It's kind of funny, and obviously much better than him drinking, but I hope he does ween himself off them at some point as he has a history of diabetes in his family.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes I know its always gonna be a drink , recovery isn't a option for him, since there isnt a problem. Im just taking myself out of the equation and disengaging.