If I were suicidal would you hand me a loaded gun?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry If I were suicidal would you hand me a loaded gun?

Gabapentin
Trazadone
Topiramate

The med cabinet looks like pharmaceutical storage unit....
The topiramate used to be prescribed for anxiety and as a plus it had been found to curb the ah's cravings, now labeled for migraines? The gabapentin is for anxiety and trazadone for insomnia

Grrrr....

Long before he ever went to rehab he made it clear to all of his pcp's that he didn't want to be on meds he could form an addiction to/dependency on. A month later all of that went out the window?

I'm trying my best to remind myself that they are Dr.'s and they know what's best but after seeing him snowed last night I couldn't help but worry. He's an addict! That much is obvious... They all know of his past drug/alcohol abuse so why in the hell would they send him home with that??? Should I hand him a beer and expect him not to drink it?

He brought this up as a concern in therapy and the Dr blew it off as if it were only a minor possibility. Consequences he reminded him...

Consequences my @ss! If I were suicidal would you hand me a loaded gun?

- Just a rant
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

As far as I know (and I'm not a medical professional), none of those are likely to be abused for recreational use, nor to be addictive.

I know several alcoholics who would not be sober today without appropriate medications to treat their depression and anxiety. Prescribing the right drug is very tricky, and sometimes a number of different meds have to be tried before an effective one is found.

So I'd try not to worry too much about the possibility of addiction from those particular drugs. There are some doctors out there who will inappropriately prescribe addictive drugs, so it's always best to find a doctor familiar with addiction.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trazodone Abuse and Addiction
Trazodone is the 17th-most abused drug in the USA. As both an antidepressant and a sleeping pill, the reasons for addiction are that an individual feels they simply cannot live life normally without it. This dependency can result from improper use and a lack of supervision of a patient suffering from depression, anxiety or insomnia. One reason for the drug’s addictive quality is that it Trazodone works rapidly, achieving full absorption within approximately an hour of ingestion. As such, it can seem to offer a quick fix to life’s problems and may be viewed as an easy solution for those who are clinically depressed or suffering from severe lack of sleep.

When combined with other substance dependency, Trazodone also has the potential to heighten this abuse and cause a relapse in recovering patients. This is especially true when it comes to alcohol, as the drug has been shown to increase an alcoholic’s chances of reverting back to their old ways if they are undergoing therapy. After the intake of Trazodone is ceased, an individual recovering from alcohol addiction may then fall back into misuse and dependency if they lack the proper supervision. In this case, Trazodone can cause other types of substance abuse if improperly consumed while undergoing rehabilitation.

The gabapentin isn't considered addictive but causes dependency. I watched my sister struggle with both of the above. I'm trying very hard not to worry and I understand he may need some medicinal help for the anxiety but I'm not ok with replacing his previous addiction for prescriptions. I'm also concerned about a dr changing the reasons for prescribing. The topiramate was originally for anxiety, another Dr changed it to migraines. He doesn't even suffer from migraines! I'm going to bring it up in therapy tomorrow. Maybe she can help make better sense of it? Not to mention its important for her to know what has been changed since we've been...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When my wife got off the booze her greatest fear was running out of xanax and Ambien.

Today, she may take a Xanax say once or twice in a week if she's really stressed.

One thing at a time. I'm not an ER doc but my best friend is. When someone comes in with an arterial bleed and a hangnail he goes after the arterial bleed first... Make sense?

Sounds like you are in the room with him - speak up and ask, express your concerns. I just had surgery with the guy I got a 7th opinion from a few weeks ago :-)

FWIW I think monitoring is the key here, if the docs are aware and writing the scripts correctly so he has to come back for refills and get checked out then they may know what they are doing... just make sure that ONE doctor knows what EVERY doctor is doing.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh - and to your original question no, I would not hand you the loaded gun but it made me giggle.

A friend of mine was trying to shoo away the fly that was chasing her husband. Said fly said that she thought she might hurt herself if my friend did not divorce him so that they could be together.... this was over coffee at Starbucks.

My friend looked at her, stood up and said let's go.... the girl looked at her and asked where and she shrugged and said "Your call, gun? rope? Poison? just let me know how you want to do it - my treat!".

Sorry... that's one worth sharing, its a little sick but it makes me laugh.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

My terminally ill mother moved to be close to me. I got many referrals and she picked a "well respected" doctor. It was not long before she was addicted to all kinds of medicine and was acting bizarre.

I took her to a neurologist who spent 2 hours dumping out many of her meds. With some reluctance, he recommended another doctor. Within a month, she was back up and around and her old self again.

IMO, patients and families must be their own advocates.

P.S. My husband had a very generous prescription writing doctor too until he became obviously addicted and the doctor cut all ties to him.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As long as they are from the doctor and used as prescribed you shouldn't worry.

Wish you the best.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am in health care, and I do understand your concern. There is a fine line between appropriate use of medications to help someone with a specific diagnosis, and using prescriptions as a substitution for real therapy. There are really great providers who think carefully about what's best, and there are providers who write prescriptions for every ailment. It gets as simple as, if he doesn't have migraines, then there is no need to document migraines as the purpose of the medication. Period. But it's up to him to speak up about it (maybe he has). I think it's very important, when you have alcohol issues, to find a primary care provider who has a background in Addiction. The average primary provider may not have the expertise necessary to manage the health issues that are influenced by addiction. You can check with local treatment facilities or IOP's for references. I also think it's important to have one provider managing all prescriptions, instead of different meds from different providers.

When my ABF went into treatment, I thought they would prescribe an anti-depressant. They didn't prescribe any meds. Their opinion was the alcohol was being used as a medication, and that he needed to be aware of and feel the issues. So sober, he had to deal with his co-dependency issues/depression/insomnia. And he got better. I can look back (it's recent) and be thankful he had to figure it out. I know that's not for everybody, and there are those that are truly helped with medications. But I think too often medications are thrown at people without a lot of thought.

If your partner is concerned, and if you're concerned as well, have a real discussion with the providers. Maybe a goal to get off medications can be discussed. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, "dependency" is sort of a slippery word. A diabetic is "dependent" on insulin. Likewise, people with a chemical imbalance will become dependent on the medication. I do know that several drugs should not be stopped abruptly because of the possible effects of withdrawal. That doesn't mean they are inappropriate drugs, just that they cannot be stopped abruptly.

The main concern is that the medication will be taken for purposes of getting a "high". If that isn't likely, then there isn't so much to worry about.

Yeah, I think it's important that all professionals involved in his care should be aware of what medications have been prescribed, and careful monitoring is critical. My son was prescribed Paxil as a young teen for his depression, and the doctor refused to monitor it even when we reported he was acting out abnormally a few weeks after he started. He wound up committing an act that had serious legal and social consequences, something he never would have done before he was started on the medication. We know more now about the dangers of Paxil and similar meds for adolescents, but anything that messes with the brain has to be carefully monitored. And the patient can't alway be relied on to accurately assess the effects, either. Very tricky stuff.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((pw))

I understand your concerns and thoughts of wanting what is best for your loved one ~ but the truth be known it truly doesn't matter if these meds are prescribed from a dr or if he purchased them off the streets ~ it is HIS responsbility to know whether it affects his recovery or not

Please know that i mean that in love and it comes from a place of experience ~ It might be an opportunity for you to try to take some steps back and look at what you can do for you ~

I had to learn to focus on what was my business and what wasn't mine ~ so many days it seemed like a very thin line ~ but thru my recovery friends, attending meetings, working with my sponsor and the guidance of my HP ~ I am learning the live and let live

Just my lessons learned and throwing out a few suggestions for you ~

wishing you & yours the best ~
Old 01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What recovering alcoholics learn is that WE are responsible for taking the meds we do. Just because someone's a doctor doesn't mean he/she knows anything about addiction. I pick up the phone and talk to knowledgeable alcoholics about mind-altering medication subscribed by physicians, although AA's own literature says no one in the program should play doctor. I've been taking a Trazadone at night for sleep for 21 years of recovery and I've never increased the dose. But plenty of other recovering alcoholics have relapsed after taking some medication.

Suggest contacting a physician experienced in addiction.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My wife abuses her anxiety drugs including gabapaten and xanax, just like she abuses alcohol. It feels the same to me. I think it has more to do with the individual than the drug. Also, doctors don't necessarily know best. Some do, some don't. That's why they invented the second opinion.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KRA

My x tried to kill herself by taking large doses of trazadone and mixing them with alcohol and tylenol. I don't like trazadone being prescribed to an active alcoholic.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by LoveMeNow
IMO, patients and families must be their own advocates.
THIS...is so very important.

I made very clear to my doctor that my goal was to be off all the meds...sooner rather than later.

I do understand the importance of meds in severe cases...but I also think things are way overprescribed, and there is not enough focus (if any at all) on really pushing other ways of managing anxiety/depression. Personally, I think overprescribing and lack of med management is huge problem in our society and it concerns me a great deal. Please understand that this is my opinion from my own experience. I understand others may not share this opinion.

ps. One can get high on trazadone...I did.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've taken Gabapentin before (pinched nerve, the off label use for it for nerve pain) and I don't care what the label says, it will get some people, myself included, high as a kite! Strange thoughts, oh yeah, very strange (and I am already slightly weird and twisted, in a good way) and a surreal feeling of calm. So, works for anxiety for me for sure, but just a complete weird feeling! It wasn't scary weird, but enough that it was memorable for feeling "weird" but no memory of what craziness I was thinking.

I don't know about Trazadone, other than a ex-meth addict friend of mine used it for a long time to be able to sleep. Her sleep schedule was whacked from the drugs apparently. I'm not sure if she still takes it now, it's been a few years, but she was during her in-patient rehab.

I'd definitely get a second opinion, with a doctor who is well versed in addiction. My elbow is still jacked up (pending surgery) but I won't take the Gabapentin anymore because it's just too weird.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry LMN I know how difficult that can be, I'm glad someone was willing/able to help.

R2, I also work in healthcare and at this point I think that may make things even more complicated, some of the experiences I've had with hcp's could scare any sane person. A lot of my fears come from my ah's history, I still refuse to refill my pain meds because he stole them from me less than 2mo ago. The stories and glorification of rx abuse I heard from residents of the clinic he was in blew me away. Here is my h who committed himself because he wanted to be there, spending everyday/night with people who were just going through the motions to get out of trouble or simply to have 3 hots and a cot, bragging about the pills they got for complaining of ailments that weren't there because they knew how to work the system. While he learned a lot about himself and the recovery process, he learned a little to much about how to manipulate the Dr.'s to get the meds you want. His meds come in a 90day supply, I told myself before he come home that I wasn't going to continue my routine of counting pills. While I have given him room to manage himself, after seeing him snowed the other night red flags were slapping me in the face.

With that being said, (MPA) I do appreciate your suggestions I don't want to be his mother, I'm exhausted with the 4 children we already have. I've been doing the best I can to remain focused on the 5 of us but not to the point that I will blow off problems I see. I was asked by a Dr. when I picked him up from rehab to bring him back ASAP if I found out he relapsed, my reply was, I would love to! Ill be passing by on my way back to IL! I meant that with all of my being. I love him but the kids and I come first. I don't want my children to accept that type of behavior from anyone and that means I can't either.

Thanks for the giggles PF funny thing is I've offered the same to my ol man, thankfully he only cheated "once" not to sure I could have had coffee with a mistress... I'm glad your wife is coping with her anxiety. I've had had some really nasty bouts with it since coming off of Zoloft. I've tried my best not to use my xanax unless its uncontrollable. I'm so grateful the panic attacks have decreased dramatically, not sure if I remember where I hid them!

We see his most active Dr (therapist) today, while she doesn't prescribe his meds she is honest with the Dr.s who do. She has seen him for over a year and us as a couple since 8/12. Tbh sometimes it feels like she's the only reason he hears me.... I used to try to talk to him about my concerns, which was totally pointless when he was drinking, no matter what I said it was wrong until she said it... I'm very cautious about the things I say to him since he quit drinking and even that can be to much sometimes.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank all of you for sharing, it helps so much to realize I'm not as crazy as I feel most days :P

I really do appreciate it!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
What recovering alcoholics learn is that WE are responsible for taking the meds we do. Just because someone's a doctor doesn't mean he/she knows anything about addiction. I pick up the phone and talk to knowledgeable alcoholics about mind-altering medication subscribed by physicians, although AA's own literature says no one in the program should play doctor. I've been taking a Trazadone at night for sleep for 21 years of recovery and I've never increased the dose. But plenty of other recovering alcoholics have relapsed after taking some medication.

Suggest contacting a physician experienced in addiction.
I couldn't agree more. As a long-term recovering alcoholic/addict also, I am responsible for what meds I take.

I too take trazadone for sleep, and have been on gabapentin for several years to quell some of the pain that I have from nerve damage in my arms/hands and lumbar region.

I take both as prescribed.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't know any of the scripts and do not have a medical background; but we live in a "write me a pill and I will be better" age.

It is regulated, I know my brother (schizophrenic) has to go in every 3 months to have his med levels checked. I go in every 6 months. I thought that was ridiculous; but when they do have side effects, it is nice to know that they are being regulated.

Thank God, I can get scripts for my asthma, extreme anxiety, and knee.
Otherwise I would be a wheezing, shuffling, basket case!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patientlywaitin View Post
The med cabinet looks like pharmaceutical storage unit....
I'm not even trying to be funny here, but isn't that the purpose of a medicine cabinet?