Cyl

Seeing this makes me know how not alone I am

Glad to find this site

Last edited by Cyl; 01-05-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Privacy
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. This is a wonderful resource of information and support. Please pull out your keyboard and make yourself at home!

You are not alone!

I found support for myself by attending local Alanon meetings, posting here at SR and reading, reading, reading. I find wisdom in the Sticky Posts at the top of the forum pages. The Stickies contain some of our stories. The Stickies also contain articles written by professionals with addiction training.

One of my favorite stickies contains steps that helped me while living with my husbands active alcoholism. Here is a link to that sticky post:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Cyl,

Welcome!!! You will find a lot of support here!!!!

How informed are you on alcoholism? Read up as much as you can so you can better understand the disease and what you approach to this situation should be. There are tons of great books out there but a very recommended one of this forum is Melody Beattie's "Codependent No More".... It helped me a great deal in my breakup with my AXBF.......

Also, consider going to Al-anon meetings in your area. Alcoholism is a family disease and all affected should seek out treatment.......

I send you my best. Be strong, work on yourself. Be gentle with yourself. His disease is not your fault. One of the most valuable things i have learned on this site are the 3 C's : I did not cause it, I can't control it, I can't cure it.

You will be in my prayers....

Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cyl

Thanks I will get braver and share more with people soon
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Cyl, and welcome.

No, you are not alone, dear.

You have landed among friends with a lot of experience, strength, and hope to share.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to a place full of understanding! My world is so much better because of SR.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm not a big one to share either at first, I'm a private person. But this place is full of caring, wonderful people who have been through so much in their lives - things we all wish we had not have had to endure. And everyone is pretty much at a different stage, and we can learn from all of them.

But this place is safe, very safe. I have found calmness and serenity in my life again due to being here, posting, and reading/'listening'.

Some of what you read you may not always like - but that just might be because it's not what you WANT to hear, or read. Some postings will be blunt, and you might be offended. But, when you learn more and think more, you will see that those things were true, maybe you just needed time to accept them.

Be easy on yourself, and be open to learning here, you will gain so much.

Peace,
C-OH Dad
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cyl,

Welcome! We're glad you found us.

I found this place when my life was completely insane and it was a lifesaver during that very dark time. The stories that I read were exactly like my own and it educated me as to what I was dealing with. I also found help at AlAnon meetings.

Keep reading.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((Cyl)) - Welcome to SR! I lurked here for a couple of years before joining Don't know why it took so much to start posting and opening up, but once I did, found a whole new world of people who truly understand.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I lurked for a long time too before I worked up the guts to post.
Like someone said in another post here -- sometimes just typing out the words "My [insert spouse/kid/friend/brother] is an alcoholic" is terrifying because it makes it real somehow. Makes you fear that "rats, now i have to do something about it!"

At least that's how it was for me.

Hang out and read and learn and listen and pop in with stories and questions when you feel comfortable. I'm glad you're here.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Cly. Keep coming back. Like others here - I lurked for a while too before I finally posted. But once I did - it began the change in my life that has lead me to where I am today.
Much peace,
~T