Sometimes we seem to have MPD lol

Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sometimes we seem to have MPD lol

Ok, a common thread among us folks who are just understanding Codie behavior and recognizing it in ourselves seem to be completely different in our work/public lives than we are at home.

At work I am responsible for a pretty large P&L and many employees. I'm paid to solve difficult problems, make wise personnel decisions and negotiate and design comprehensive longterm strategies for clients. If I rattled off the list of clients I have worked with in my area of expertise you would know many of them and there's a decent chance I've indirectly impacted you because you probably do business with them. Advanced degrees, pretty resume, cool title and big office and a pretty solid rep in my arena. Words like naive, or uncertain or reactive would not come up.

Personal life - well, you guys know me, enough said! Rofl

Here is a funny example that will make you feel better about yourself if you are similar - yup, think of me as the fat guy you stand next to in a Facebook photo to look taller and skinnier on this one:

Work life: had an employee with deep alcoholism issues that progressed to the point where they could not do thier job. I had mentored this employee at a previous company and hired this employee along with a handful of other key people I needed to run things effectively. I did not know this employee had problems until a few months before thier collapse. I tried to get them help and when they did not I had to fire them.

Personal life: knew a wonderful girl who I respected and admired and was extremely attracted to but who I never hit on or acknowledged my feeling toward. Over time I realized she had a big problem but I did not know what alcoholism was and wasn't. As she circled the drain and wound up in the hospital after she lost her job and true to quit cold turkey on her own I wanted to help so badly and was there for her as she put her life back together and we fell in love and things got better but she hadn't had any treatment or AA and fell apart six months later and did not start to get well until I joined this forum and kicked her out for a month while she got into AA. That was almost one year ago and she's had a couple of lapses and our bouncing baby boy since. I love my wife but you all know that.

So I ran into the same situation in my work life and personal life, the similarities are eerily close to identical. In the first instance I assessed the situation, set my feelings aside and made the painful decision to terminate the relationship quickly and definitively.

In the second I went the other way and got closer to the situation and ensured that my life would be completely impacted by the alcoholics problems even though I knew more and had more reason to worry.

Challenge question: who can guess the key difference between the alcoholic I fired and the alcoholic I married. Hint- it wasn't that one was a beautiful woman and the other wasn't. I was personally invested in each and cared deeply about each. There is one key difference and only one key that I can find....
Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats easy to answer because I am working from my own experience. I have fired employees. It's not fun but everyone moves on. However you can't fire the mother of your children. You can divorce her but she will always be your childrens mother and thus will always be somewhat in your life and hopefully in your childrens lives. Also none of us want to see our children suffer so we try to make the best of a bad situation.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am feeling a possible trick question here

Are they the same person?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
I am feeling a possible trick question here

Are they the same person?
Ding ding ding....

How do you get even with someone for firing you? Marry them.

Lol
Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am currently LMAO!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What is MPD?

Originally Posted by PohsFriend View Post
Ok, a common thread among us folks who are just understanding Codie behavior and recognizing it in ourselves seem to be completely different in our work/public lives than we are at home.

At work I am responsible for a pretty large P&L and many employees. I'm paid to solve difficult problems, make wise personnel decisions and negotiate and design comprehensive longterm strategies for clients. If I rattled off the list of clients I have worked with in my area of expertise you would know many of them and there's a decent chance I've indirectly impacted you because you probably do business with them. Advanced degrees, pretty resume, cool title and big office and a pretty solid rep in my arena. Words like naive, or uncertain or reactive would not come up.

Personal life - well, you guys know me, enough said! Rofl

Here is a funny example that will make you feel better about yourself if you are similar - yup, think of me as the fat guy you stand next to in a Facebook photo to look taller and skinnier on this one:

Work life: had an employee with deep alcoholism issues that progressed to the point where they could not do thier job. I had mentored this employee at a previous company and hired this employee along with a handful of other key people I needed to run things effectively. I did not know this employee had problems until a few months before thier collapse. I tried to get them help and when they did not I had to fire them.

Personal life: knew a wonderful girl who I respected and admired and was extremely attracted to but who I never hit on or acknowledged my feeling toward. Over time I realized she had a big problem but I did not know what alcoholism was and wasn't. As she circled the drain and wound up in the hospital after she lost her job and true to quit cold turkey on her own I wanted to help so badly and was there for her as she put her life back together and we fell in love and things got better but she hadn't had any treatment or AA and fell apart six months later and did not start to get well until I joined this forum and kicked her out for a month while she got into AA. That was almost one year ago and she's had a couple of lapses and our bouncing baby boy since. I love my wife but you all know that.

So I ran into the same situation in my work life and personal life, the similarities are eerily close to identical. In the first instance I assessed the situation, set my feelings aside and made the painful decision to terminate the relationship quickly and definitively.

In the second I went the other way and got closer to the situation and ensured that my life would be completely impacted by the alcoholics problems even though I knew more and had more reason to worry.

Challenge question: who can guess the key difference between the alcoholic I fired and the alcoholic I married. Hint- it wasn't that one was a beautiful woman and the other wasn't. I was personally invested in each and cared deeply about each. There is one key difference and only one key that I can find....
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Multiple Personality Disorder?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
I am currently LMAO!
I just spewed tea at my screen!

I'm thinking: "Jesus Moses!!"

and I guess that wouldn't be too far from the truth, right Poh? (savior disorder)

Thanks for the belly laugh! I think we need to laugh out loud at ourselves sometimes.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well at least nothing happened while it should not have. Once she wasn't a subordinate and I was no longer in a relationship it was all she wrote.

Funniest part was telling DD since Poh was well known to her and we felt terribly guilty hiding the change in status. When I told DD she just calmly said "no ****, I was wondering how long it would take you guys to realize you were in love Captain Obvious".

Remember - my daughter was not fortunate enough to be raised by wolves, instead she was raised by a single dad and she got 100% of my sense of humor. God help us
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh and yes, mpd is multiple personality disorder, learned a lot from mom ;-)

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I have multiple personality disorder
And so do I, and me, me too!

I'm lucky, looks like I only got ADD and for what I do it actually works because I'm so interrupt driven. Got a poem for that too

Roses are red
Violets are ... Hey I had a friend named violet, we used to ride bikes together! Did I tell you about ....ooooh shiny, be right back
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Speaking of ADD. Yes pelican, I found out a long time ago that laughing is easier than crying and somewhere in my thirties I stopped being so annoyingly insecure and learned to laugh at myself and poke fun at myself instead of trying to get validation.

I need to get back to being comfortable in my own skin, lots of upheaval this year and I allowed it to get to me and throw me for a few loops. Getting back to being me and it's helping my wife as much as it is helping me. On top of all the crap she was already blaming herself for she felt horribly guilty about seeing me sad and worried and that came out as anger.

Funny - last couple days with the pressure off and some answers to our current dilemma and we are remembering why this is worth whatever it takes. When we are on we are on and have peace and calm and serenity and it is just easy... That's why we fell in love. Can't let alcoholism make is forget that.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Only a man that has previously fired his wife could get her to agree to a breathalizer...lol...it's great that she is so willing to put her pride aside. You may have found one of the only ways to have that kind of power. Kudos to you...yours may actually end up being a success story. I would love to finally read one on here.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not just willing, she asked - her idea. She told me she needs that extra help and that god forbid she does slip she knows she can fool me.

I'm a guy, we aren't very bright once boobs enter our line of sight
Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This whole thread is makin me smile. I'm so tired of people who take themselves too seriously....

L