Another day of this BS

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another day of this BS

Another day of watching him drink himself to death. I can't say anything because the kids are around. I've had to bite my tongue all day as he drinks one after another. I cringe with every swallow and clink of the ice on the glass. It's crazy, but I can actually hear him unscrewing the cap on the liquor bottle from another room. I'm so unhappy. With him for being like this, with myself for being here. I don't know where this will end or how ill get there, but it will end. Soon.

Sorry. No questions or insights. Just needed to air my thoughts.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ah...I still hear the sound of a beer can opening in my sleep...so it's not crazy at all that you can hear the sound of a cap being unscrewed! HUG.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What I don't understand - if it's out in the open that he has a drinking problem - what boundaries have you set for yourself? I wouldn't be watching my husband drinking in my house 24/7.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WishingWell, it unfolded slowly. I uncovered the problem a step at a time. It just kept getting worse. Even then, he still sort of hid it. It's just within the last few days that he's becoming more brazen with it. He still hides it from the kids - for now. You see, he has declared that next Saturday is his last day of drinking so I think he somehow feels like this gives him license to drink out in the open - and ALL DAY LONG! The mind of an alcoholic, right? I'm not really sure I want to go through the process of setting boundaries. I've decided that its just going to stop. I'll let him pretend to quit next week and after it fails (I know it will because he has no plan, hasn't sought medical advice, hasn't set up any support network, the list goes on and on), I'll tell him he has to leave.

Ady Gil, I took your advice. After I posted I went upstairs and did some yoga. I feel great! I quit smoking a few weeks ago and want to get back into an exercise routine. I'm starting with the yoga. I also made plans to go out with a friend this week. I also start a new job next week Monday and will spend the week preparing for that. I'm moving forward! I don't have room in my life for an ABF. This has to be sorted out before it affects my kids. No ifs, ands or buts.

I'm so thankful for this site! The love and support is amazing.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations to you Ady Gil! I'm glad you were able to get out. Sorry you have to deal with all the legal junk. :-(. Thank you again for your great advice!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And with all due respect...

...it's already affecting the kids. As a parent I believe, even at three, my daughter saw and heard everything we did and said. Now she's seventeen, and it's clear to me she did.

Take care and good luck,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by stupidgirl View Post
WishingWell, it unfolded slowly. I uncovered the problem a step at a time. It just kept getting worse. Even then, he still sort of hid it. It's just within the last few days that he's becoming more brazen with it. He still hides it from the kids - for now. You see, he has declared that next Saturday is his last day of drinking so I think he somehow feels like this gives him license to drink out in the open - and ALL DAY LONG! The mind of an alcoholic, right? I'm not really sure I want to go through the process of setting boundaries. I've decided that its just going to stop. I'll let him pretend to quit next week and after it fails (I know it will because he has no plan, hasn't sought medical advice, hasn't set up any support network, the list goes on and on), I'll tell him he has to leave.

Ady Gil, I took your advice. After I posted I went upstairs and did some yoga. I feel great! I quit smoking a few weeks ago and want to get back into an exercise routine. I'm starting with the yoga. I also made plans to go out with a friend this week. I also start a new job next week Monday and will spend the week preparing for that. I'm moving forward! I don't have room in my life for an ABF. This has to be sorted out before it affects my kids. No ifs, ands or buts.

I'm so thankful for this site! The love and support is amazing.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Does your husband work? If so, how does he drink all day?

If he's not working, then, well, what is he good for? That may sound harsh, but if he is working and bringing in a decent income, then I can understand why a wife/mother would keep an AH around...to help with the financial health of the family. But, if he's not working, then what is his purpose?