so in love with an alcoholic. maybe i have a mental disorder

Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so in love with an alcoholic. maybe i have a mental disorder

As my AH is in detox the 3rd time I can't help but wonder that this disease will indead kill him. He was so drunk on Thursday that my kids couldn't come home from my in laws bc he was all over the place it wouldn't be safe for them to be around him. While I've begun to get used to this behavior I will not expose my perfect innocent childen to his illness. I basically made him go back in detox. Btw he just finished 60 days inpatient and relasped 6 weeks later. Maybe my purpose in this world is to be the wife that tollerates thisinsanity. Feeling repulsed but completely in love
i hate my multiple feelings towards him
Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well I don't think anyone here will fault you for your feelings. It appears most of us have felt or feel that way at times. It's a sick thing for everyone! I wish you the best!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Melody Beattie has a great book out called: Codependent No More...borrow it...its a good read and so is the Language of Letting Go journal(my personal fav.)

welcome to SR..

here is a link from classic sober recovery...it may help you
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well alcoholism/addiction can be viewed as a mental illness...
Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Do you attend meetings? If not I would suggest that you do and get your hands on
Codependent No More. Also, read all the stickeys at the top of this and all the forums
in the Family & Friends section.

And you are right, children should never be exposed to addiction or abuse. They will carry their childhood into adulthood and bear the scars of this toxic enviorment all the rest of their lives.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I would say I ended up with a disorder due to living with active alcoholism in my home.

I became obsessed with my alcoholic.
I focused all my energy on trying to anticipate, fix, control and cure the situation.
I became addicted to the addict.

It did not happen overnight, but it did happen. I lost touch with who I was, what my ambitions in life were, and what I wanted out of my one precious life.

When I first arrived here at SR, I learned about the three C's of my husband's addiction:

I did not Cause it
I can not Control it
I will not Cure it

It took me a while to accept that concept. When I did, I was finally able to give the addiction to the adult with the problem. Then, only then, was I able to focus on controlling my own life.

Stick around, we are here to support you!