Calling 911 for someone who lives in a different state?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Saying one will commit suicide is a cry for help.

Those who are serious just do it. My ex left no note. He just did it.

So sorry you are going through this.

Hugs,
Old 05-27-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Choublak, I don't think is it a generalization here - I think its a supposition that we are talking about addictions on the friends & family of alcoholics forum.

And I don't think its sarcasm either, but your response sounded sarcastic. Is something else wrong here? I think you've had a lot of good responses about calling 911 from another state.
The responses have been more than helpful, I just find the assumption that only alcoholics/addicts are capable of manipulation a naive one.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Choublak, normal people are not as good at manipulating people because usually they can handle unpleasant events. ALcoholics/addicts have to live manipulating others because it's how they exist.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

(((Choublak))) - this is a forum for people dealing with addiction/alcoholism. That being said, my dad has made vague comments about "ending it all". His latest was about 2 weeks ago...he had been on a trip to LA, said he was driving the bridge across Lake Ponchartrain and thought "just one jerk of the wheel, it will be all over" BUT that he "wouldn't be there to gloat?!?!"

He is NOT an A, he has become a codie after years with my stepmom. I was livid. I made him play the tape to the end (yes, I am an RA). Who would have to identify his body - ME! Stepmom would have a "nervous coniption fit" and wouldn't do it. Who would have to clear this house out...the one he and my mom built for us? ME! Who would be left wondering what we didn't do, what we missed? Every singler person that cared for him.

He is as sick in in codie-ness as I used to be and as sick as I was when I was using. I've heard variations of this since I moved home, about 6 years ago.

I was an ER nurse for years, I've been trained in "are they just talking" vs "okay, we have a serious problem".

I don't know that I truly got through to him, but I think I did. I asked him "you want to GLOAT over my pain? I've already lost my mom, and you DARE talk about me losing the last parent I have?!"

It's not just A's that do this, but we often assume there is some A personality just because this is a recovery forum. It's nothing personal. My dad has become a codie-to-the-core, doesn't have an addiction bone in his body, but we deal with A's and codies here. Some people are just sick...don't fit into either category, but if I have any doubt that my dad is serious? I WILL call 911. He and I have a phone tracking thing because we both drive all over the place..I will use it if I have to.

I've lost a friend to suicide...totally not an A, codie, or anything else, just extremely depressed. I would rather err on my gut feelings and side of caution than wonder "is he/she serious"?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Choublak,

It is my understanding that you can call 9-1-1 where you are and describe a situation in another state. Responders will relay the information to the nearest law enforcement agency to investigate.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

calling 911 for a different city/state

I talked to 911 for my area. I was told to dial 0 for the operator, and tell the operator I need 911 for city/state. I think your local 911 can also transfer the call. I had tried to call EMS for that other state, and it said hangup and dial 911. But I did finally get her help. She overdosed on her medication with a lot of alcohol to go with it. An ambulance was sent out.

Last edited by BullShark; 11-06-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KRA

Would you get the right law enforcement/medics if you dialed the area code of the city your dad lives in followed by 911?

No idea if this would work. Just a thought.