Normalising the abnormal

Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It actually lulls me to sleep. Just the steady monotone sound relaxes my mind. I guess it could be annoying to some, but everyone I know who use the fan loves it.

I must add that it can become addictive. After years of using one, I cannot sleep without it now.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Adventure, for me leaving happened when the pain of staying was greater than the pain of leaving. At that point I didn't even have to think about it. It just happened.

Your friend,
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ah, the snoring. For several years I would lay awake and listen to it, wondering why he had developed this terrible snoring habit. I'd reach over and pinch his nostrils shut, and it was amazing how long it took for him, without air, to start to jerk and struggle. I realized only after he was gone that it was due to all the booze.

My AH is also weirded out by my attending Al Anon. I think he thinks I'm being brainwashed there into thinking he's an alcoholic (because of course, he says, he's NOT!). Recently he asked me what goes on in the meetings. I told him "we don't talk about the alcoholic, we focus on ourselves. I have let you go and no longer have any expectation about your drinking. I've learned it's your business. My business if my own life and being healthy and happy. I wish you well."

It was amazing how much that took the wind out of his sails. Here he was thinking that I was going to Al Anon to sit and cry over my drunk husband. Not!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
You might try using a box fan, turned on high. I use one and it drowns out almost all other noises. Perhaps that, along with your earplugs, you can get some sleep.
I tried fans and earplugs and nothing works for me. My AH started snoring about 18 months ago really bad. I didn't realize it was because he was sneaking the drinking(which I knew he was doing, but didn't connect the snoring with the drinking at first). He still snores and I know he's not drinking because I have a freakin' bloodhound nose when it comes to smelling the stuff. His snore sounds like a coffee pot percolating. He is now sleeping in the spare bedroom because I kept ending up there every night. He said he'll just sleep there instead of waking me and having me be the one on the futon. Hey, I'll take it. Some nights I feel bad and ask him to sleep with me, but then I regret it when the ear plugs and fan isn't enough to drown him out.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It was amazing how much that took the wind out of his sails. Here he was thinking that I was going to Al Anon to sit and cry over my drunk husband. Not!
Yes, my ex practically deflated in front of my eyes. There are other things in this world besides your addiction. I learned that in AlAnon. Also, that life without death rattle snoring is wonderful. For all those who shared about that fury. It was awful.

Beth
Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
I tried fans and earplugs and nothing works for me. My AH started snoring about 18 months ago really bad. I didn't realize it was because he was sneaking the drinking(which I knew he was doing, but didn't connect the snoring with the drinking at first). He still snores and I know he's not drinking because I have a freakin' bloodhound nose when it comes to smelling the stuff. His snore sounds like a coffee pot percolating. He is now sleeping in the spare bedroom because I kept ending up there every night. He said he'll just sleep there instead of waking me and having me be the one on the futon. Hey, I'll take it. Some nights I feel bad and ask him to sleep with me, but then I regret it when the ear plugs and fan isn't enough to drown him out.
Well, nothing is going to drown out the snoring if he is right beside you. I was talking about using it when the noise travels down or across the hall from a different room. All I know is it works for me and thought I'd suggest it.