AH got an extreme DUI tonight

Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I agree with the "let him take care of it" sentiment. Anything you do for him at this point will only enable him to keep using.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just one little thought, he can ride a bike. Fresh air, good exercise and cheap transportation.

Just a thought.

Your friend,
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It depends on where you live. Some states are more strict than others. I live in Texas and my DUI was something like this...

Loss of License for 6 months (I was able to get an occupational license)
DUI classes, victim impact class
12 month probation, monthly visits to PO, payments each month
Community Service for however many hours the court decides
Fines and Court costs
Attorneys fees
After all is said and done, it cost me about $8,000

I've only had the one DUI, but from what I understand, everything doubles if you get a second and a third usually involves jail time.

P.S. - I didn't have to get a breathalyzer apparatus installed on my car, but I hear that is quite common now. My DUI was about 5 years ago, and they were just starting to require those. That is an additional possibility and with those, in addition to the cost of the unit itself, you have to go in every so often (once a month?) and have them read and re-calibrated, which costs money, but I don't know how much.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Just one little thought, he can ride a bike. Fresh air, good exercise and cheap transportation.

Just a thought.

Your friend,
He mountain bikes anyway and has suggested that he'll use his bike to get around. I didn't even have to bring it up, LOL
Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post

Just a thought.

Your friend,
He mountain bikes anyway and has suggested that he'll use his bike to get around. I didn't even have to bring it up, LOL
Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I hope with all my heart that this will open his eyes to the fact that he just should.not.drink.at.all. Unfortunately, for many of us, it didn't. Oh sure, we swore we were done and did actually stop for a while. But, after a while, we tend to minimize the damage and go right back to it, convinced that we can handle it this time. Of course, we can't and soon end up drinking just as much as before. I did that for about 2 more years until I literally woke up and did something about it.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

yes I forgot about that. He had to get a breathalizer in his truck for 18 months and it cost $500/month. He also had to pay a $2000 fine, $10k to the lawyer who kept him out of jail (it was a miracle), DUI classes (top dollar), pay for treatment (also top dollar), PO visits for 3 years, paid for his own urine tests. He also had to apply for a license again from scratch, take the road test, pay the fees, etc.

Then there were towing fees, storage fees, fines, surcharges, taxes - when you get in the clutches of the government, you are going to pay and pay and pay. Then we can start talking about what happened to his insurance rates.

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
It depends on where you live. Some states are more strict than others. I live in Texas and my DUI was something like this...

Loss of License for 6 months (I was able to get an occupational license)
DUI classes, victim impact class
12 month probation, monthly visits to PO, payments each month
Community Service for however many hours the court decides
Fines and Court costs
Attorneys fees
After all is said and done, it cost me about $8,000

I've only had the one DUI, but from what I understand, everything doubles if you get a second and a third usually involves jail time.

P.S. - I didn't have to get a breathalyzer apparatus installed on my car, but I hear that is quite common now. My DUI was about 5 years ago, and they were just starting to require those. That is an additional possibility and with those, in addition to the cost of the unit itself, you have to go in every so often (once a month?) and have them read and re-calibrated, which costs money, but I don't know how much.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wow, Wendy, I had no idea the breathalyzer and all it entails cost so much. I'm truly blessed that I didn't have to do that, but like I said, I hear it's quite common now. I have two thoughts on all that...They either make is so expensive, time consuming and difficult to impress upon us that we definitely do NOT want to go through all that again, or they are taking advantage of a bad situation in order to add more money to their coffers. I think it may be a little of both.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Definitely get the car out of impound, storage fees accrue really fast. Beyond that, it is his to deal with.

I do know that most of the major car rental companies look at your driving record and there is a good possibility they won't rent him a car, even after he gets his license back.

technically it's my car now, LOL!
This is not true. You don't have to have a driver's license to own a vehicle, just to operate one. And if you are in a community property state it belongs to both of you regardless of what the title or registration says.