OT: those doors HP opens

Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: those doors HP opens

Hi SR family,

I'd like to share with you some awesome news that has come my way recently...well, it's not "news" as much as it's a decision I have taken following some important changes that took place at my job last fall. To make a long story short: the workload here got so crushing I was having trouble keeping up, parenting my daughter properly, keeping up with my graduate course, and staying sane. In December, my boss was given a huge promotion and I was of course expected to follow him. Enter stage left even MORE work...I had to ask for an extension for the grad course I had been doing and I started to notice that I was burning out.

When it all got to be too much, I tried to look for other jobs but nothing came of my search. Taking a step back, I saw that certain avenues were clearly blocked while the most obvious one was clearly open; I just wasn't ready to consider it.

A few weeks ago, after some careful budgetting and reflection, I made the decision to apply to my university's Master's of Education program. I was accepted starting this summer, and will be quitting my job to study full-time (!) for about 18 months till I finish the Master's. I'll be poor and I'll use up ALL my savings, but I'll finally be doing what I want to do, and hopefully, the program will lead me to a fulfilling job. Also, because the entire program is online, I'll have the opportunity to be far more present in DD's life in that crucial time right before she enters preschool...

I'm excited/nervous/scared but mostly, I'm so incredibly thankful to HP for giving me this opportunity. I have that same feeling of "rightness" I had when I finally left XAH.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW!!!! Not bad for a former bowl of jello!!! You continue to amaze me. Bravo!!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is so great, I am so glad for you, big hugs.

Bill
Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! It has been a true joy to watch how far you've come from when you first came here

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love it. Looking for the open doors isn't the same thing as finding them. And finding them isn't the same thing as having the courage to walk through them. You've done well and been brave, and it will be a good thing for both you and your daughter.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's so great! No amount of money, savings, or job ladder climbing will compare to the time you have with DD!

You're inspiring!

When my job was cut last Spring I thought it was the end of the world. In the end it turned out to be the best thing ever-- my new job, although further away- allows me lots of flexibility to spend time with my DD's that I otherwise wouldn't have had.

I am struggling financially bc of the huge pay cut but it's well worth it. I am sure you will have a wonderful 18 months of studying and being full time Mom and then be able to get a job doing what you love!

Yay!!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Old 02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Masters in Education! Wow! You are inspiring!

Beth
Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I made the same choice when my girls were at the same age. You may be broke for a while, eat up all your savings, and live on Beanie Weanie's but it will be a magical time that you will never regret, and your daughter will thrive because of it. Way to go!

P.S. I am still paying on my grad school loan, but it is a point of pride each month.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Big, big hugs, Noday!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great news!!! You are truly an inspiration.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about this today.
I was up for a good job. and prayed that I get it so I could move on with my life without being dependent on my RAH and just maybe...i could get the heck out.
...so I went...told I got it. then RAH turned all sweet on me and I waivered...
and then i heard I DID not get the job afterall.
SO I prayed more...that the right thing would happen.
and RAH turned back into a pumpkin....and I kept thinking I have got to get out of here..no matter what. God wants better for me and my kids.
and
I got a call....I DID get that job afterall...they just were having some staffing issues internally and weren't sure when the opening would be available and didn't want to keep me hanging...
Here's what I see. I pray about making the right decision and following the path God wants me to and I am called in to interview. I decide to stay w/ RAH...loss oppty for job. Decide it was time to go...got job!...
I think I see a pattern here.
It's just that I am trying hard not to read into things too much but feel that this is what is right for me.
Pray I can get the heck out soon!