Alcoholic husband advise encouragement....

Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic husband advise encouragement....

Hello.....I am a child of an alcoholic and grandchild of an alcoholic and now my husband seems to be heading down that dreaded path. my husband has been drinking on a regular basis (2-4 beer a night) for a few years now and the past few months has increased due to conflict in our marriage.....I told him it was bothering me and he "stopped" but was secretly sneeking it. Well now we are on an emotional rollercoaster.....so many ups and downs and it is not fun!! He does not see it as a problemand it has yet to impat his life at this point but does mine. He gets angry easily and more argumentative. He functions goes to work but he looks stressed and unhealthy!! Any advise is helpful!!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Welcome,

I would recommend that you attend Alanon meetings. As a child of an alcoholic you had a 50% chance of marrying one, and you, like me, did it. Meeting helped me as did this board.

Please take the time to read all the stickies in the Family & Friend Forums, this includes the substance abuse forum...addiction is addiction, doesn't matter if it is alcohol or drugs, the behaviors are the same.

Read others posts, lots of knowledge right at your fingertips.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here.

You are right...life with an alcoholic is not fun; it can be a nightmare. While he may still be functioning well, please realize that alcoholism is progressive. It always gets worse, never better, without help. All it takes is one time being caught behind the wheel after drinking for both his and your world to appear to shatter. Also, please know that if he were to hurt someone while drinking and driving, you will be financially liable as well.

I agree with Dolly that you would benefit from al-anon meetings. There you will find face-to-face support from people like you who love an addict. SR is a great resource for information and online support, but that face-to-face support can really be invaluable.

Again, welcome to SR!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did attend Alanon but did not return back. He was very upset and it was causing more problems so I thought about waiting it out until it gets worse....I know that sounds bad. I feel like I am on a teeter totter. Things get back to normal and then another conflict. I know I need to go back I just don't want the argument. He thinks I am crazy and it is all my mom and family issues causing my feelings. Which to a point I can understand to him he just enjoys to drink and relax but I see a familiar pattern. Thanks so Much for your input I really need it!!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

mm015

When I finally got the courage to go to my first Al-anon meeting, my qualifier shouted at me "sure go ahead so you can see I am not an alcoholic."

I finally recognized that his drinking was going to be there regardless of what I did.

I also had other qualifiers (not direct family) but it would not be a lie to say you are going to address the stuff with your mom or family issues....I dealt with those since being in Al-anon too.