OT:cell phones and texting behaviours...

Old 08-20-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Question OT:cell phones and texting behaviours...

ok, maybe i am alittle ole fashion...but when did our cell phones take over our lives NEVER mind the texting...

i was out at a birthday party...the HOSTESS had her cell phone glued to her at all times...when the texting would ring, she texted back....the manners in texting is awefull these days....i for one, shuts the phone off, at a meal, and a coffee or even just simple being in anyones company...i just dont want to be disturbed...why cant people be MORE POLITE with these things!?

just my 2 cents...

does anyone else have a peeve about them? i surely can not be the only one...

i know when i am out for a coffee, sitting at the table i watch people on their phones AS they place an order!! how rude!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

texting while you have guests? that is very rude....i hate to watch peolple walk and text...not looking where they are going...same thing at the traffic light...keep your eyes on the road.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's a peeve of mine, too. I work downtown and when I'm outside, 85 out of 100 people who walk by are either talking or texting on a phone. It's ridiculous!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree...there's a time & a place. Like you I also switch my phone off if I am at dinner, or at least have it on silence when I am in company so as not to be disturbed. I know for some people in case of emergencies they prefer to leave the phones on....so the kids can contact them if they need to etc... Yeah I understand that too. But I agree sometimes its just not appropriate. I do get a wee bit peeved at it myself!

Can I just add I learned the hard way after my phone ringing out a loud rock tune in the middle of a funeral service!! I had forgotten to switch the thing off & well, I was mortified!! Luckily for me the family felt my frantic panic as I blindly plunged my hand in that bag trying desperately to find the off switch!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can count me in on that being a pet peeve. We live in a society that is fast losing any semblance of manners, seriously.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hate this too! I was on a date once and the guy actually put his hand up to the waitress to "hold on", while he was talking on his cell phone! Rude! People who talk loudly on their cell phones in public places so I can hear their entire conversations and don't even notice the "evil eye" that I am giving them! lol There is nothing ruder than trying to have a conversation with someone and keep getting interuppted by their text messages!!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ABF and I are the same age, that age that grew up with nothing but landlines and payphones, but have completely different views on cell phones. He's lost without it, and I'm lost with it. I would only use mine in an emergency which is car broke down in the middle of no where. Other than that, I see them as a complete nuisance. He used to work five minutes from home.. and would always call right after work on his phone to yack about his day.. ARG.. gimme a break.. save it for when you get home so we'll have something to talk about!!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Present

We hardly ever go out socially, what with the job situation being what it is. A friend recently invited us to a small gathering for her "going away." It was just five of us, and we knew the other two women there along with our friend. One woman kept leaving the table to go outside where her cell phone reception was better. I kept thinking, "Let's see, there are living breathing present people right here, and she's interfacing with a device, interrupting our conversation to have one of her own with someone who's not even here." Made me kinda wistful for the days before all this stress-inducing (IMHO) technology.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
heartofamama

i agree w u all...
it's like a pacifier, those cellphones..., i mean
folks seem to NEED the darn things in an unhealthy way...like an addiction.
coldhearted society now man.
less 'face-time' & personal interaction than ever.
it's like telling people they are worthless,
when a person chooses their cellphone over the human sitting right across from them.
the kids growing up this way don't know any better--
but the adults are another story.
God Loves each of us, but in this world there's no love.
i couldn't make it without God's Love,...nobody can, really.
those who try 2 get by without God end up taking a real beating from life.
not necessary-- God's Love is free to all for the asking,
it cannot be earned-- but it was paid for by God's Son-- in His Own Blood.
today: hookup to Life, that's spelled: J E S U S.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a fan of smart phones but only in the right time and place. I nixed the kids texting me for things from their bedrooms. I have one professional group who says at the start of each monthly meeting "Please turn off your phones. The first phone that rings picks up the lunch tab". The scramble to turn off phones is hilarious!

But I do like the convenience of having a phone on me, for those moments where you really need one!

On the weekends, I tend to "lose" my phone. Helps me disconnect from work emails.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This may be a controversial and not very popular observation but I have discussed this with other teachers I've worked with and friends who are also teachers like me and I have to believe that there's a correlation between the rise of kids identified with ASD and the rise of technology related interractions. I think that the basics of how we interract face to face have gotten lost with the increase in IM'ing, texting, emailing, message boards (irony I realize as I am typing this) and when I work with kids on social interaction type lessons (I am a special ed teacher) I really have to wonder how much the lack of face to face interaction time there is in today's culture has to do with the ASD growth...

Kids sit at lunch tables (middle schoolers) next to their friends texting for 30 min- not saying a word. They go home and IM and text each other rather than talking to each other... it's just odd.

And on a separate note, the texting thing drives me nuts with my AH (or used to) bc he started using texting (after saying how insane it was to text and how he'd never do it) as a way to manipulate, spread lies, deceive etc... I guess he found it easier to manipulate that way... less personal interaction when you text...

So, long answer to the question but yes, I took find the whole texting world to be irksome when it's used excessively.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's an obsession for some and addiction for others. It reminds me of invasion of the body snatchers.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

so i see i am not the only one with this peeve....so all i need is the proper and NICE way to handle these people with cell phones...anyone know the manners of these guys..? how do you handle it? how do you handle it with the person that has the I.S.Ms( I, self, and me)....to me, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth...i want to shoot my mouth off at them...but is that a time and place also?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^ lol...
Old 08-21-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My cell phone is wonderful for emergencies but I try to use it as little as possible, but I'm one of those who loves to talk face to face so I'm very short on the phone you know just keep it short until I see you. Where I live it's a crime to text or talk with your hands on the phone while driving. I like that, because I'm sure whatever it is it can wait.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

you handle it the same way you handle other things...

you let it go because it's on your list of things you can't control. Unless you can control it (like I do with my daughter).

But, for strangers, it's a reality I don't like but have to live with, just like every other jackass behavior I have to live with. So I let it go and do my thing (and laugh when the barista or bartender ignores them to take my order).

Take care,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by fourmaggie View Post
so i see i am not the only one with this peeve....so all i need is the proper and NICE way to handle these people with cell phones...anyone know the manners of these guys..? how do you handle it? how do you handle it with the person that has the I.S.Ms( I, self, and me)....to me, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth...i want to shoot my mouth off at them...but is that a time and place also?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I worked in corporate america for over 30 years, flew in excess of 100,000 miles a year, managed my business and personal life and never had a cell phone.

Today, I believe that many are addicted to their cells, they can't even take a poop without being on their cell either talking or texting. What could there be in life so important that you have to talk about it while sitting on the pot?

There soon will be a recovery group dedicated to those addicted to their cell phones. What use to be known as a CPA, Certified Public Accountant will be known as Cell Phone Addicts, and they will meet on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month....and there will be no cell phones allowed in the building, nada, none.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Rude people suck!

Today most of the people I said "good morning" to did not respond or even looked at me...

Not the first time I feel invisible.

That is how constant texting makes me feel, invisible..

At work they might give me a blackberry.. but I don't want it ... I hope they don't remember they wanted me to have one.

My old mobile works thanks...

It sucks when others don't get basic manners.. makes you feel isolated.

Thanks for letting me whine.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Did you know that there are people who pretend to talk on their cells so that they don't have to stop and talk to people? My b.i.l does this. lol
Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
.i hate to watch peolple walk and text...not looking where they are going...
this drives me bats. Especially the ones that stop dead in their tracks so that if you're walking behind them - colllision! I do like texting, I think it's perfect for times such as when you are somewhere that's LOUD and trying to find someone (like at a sporting event or concert when you need to meet up with the people who are giving you a ride home! ) but I would never text while driving or just walking down the street.