newcomer - sort of

Old 08-06-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer - sort of

I am a wife and new mother recently in recovery as a member of Al-anon. While searching on the web today I tried to register for this site and found that I already had an account that I set up years before. After using the help feature I was able to get back into my account and after asking to have my username changed (I hope that is a fast and easy process) I went to take a look at the profile information.

I have to chuckle at what I wrote way back then for the "about me" field as it started off with "My husband is an alcoholic. Not that this information isn't useful for this site, but it certainly wasn't about me.

Well since my initial time on this site AH and I both took a few years break from any type of recovery and have only recently renewed our recovery efforts since our son came home. Myself a bit more than him which is creating issues in and of itself which are coming to light in just the past few days.

Well I figure that is enough for now. I look forward to getting to know everyone better and learning from your experience, strength and hope.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Welcome back!
I'm sorry about the circumstances that brought you here, but I'm glad you found this forum again.

I think we all go through a stage of "All this information is nice, but I need something that I can use," simply because it's hard to hear about all the things we can't change.
We can change ourselves, though - and that journey is making all the difference, for me. It just took awhile before I was ready to acknowledge that changing myself was the only thing I really needed to change.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Now I am just wishing that the changes would happen faster I am a slow learner.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think change happens when we are ready for it.

Sometimes I spend a lot of time "maintaining" recovery and then have a time of quick learning when it all comes together.

I bet you were just in a maintaining phase and are ready for the learning now.

Welcome back and I am glad you are here.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome, and experience. I appreciate your share.