Well-wishes for the weekend, SR friends!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well-wishes for the weekend, SR friends!

I'm no longer married to an A, but I have very raw memories of holidays with an A, and especially those memories of Fridays before a long holiday weekend, when everyone in the office was excited and happy and I was just dreading three days of continual drunkenness (not me, my then-AH).

So I remember that on those Fridays now. I saw one coworker today who got more unhappy the happier the rest of the crew got as the clock inched closer to the end of the day. I know why. She's on her second addict husband. My heart is breaking for her. She's dreading the weekend.

In that context -- I wanted to send out those very special "Been There" well-wishes to those of you who will be dealing, directly or indirectly, with an A in the family or circle of friends this July 4th/Canada Day weekend. And here's to the hope that one day, we'll be celebrating holidays without worrying about someone else's drinking and how it might impact us.

Here's to yummy barbecue, just enough sun & warmth, happy kids, happy families, and strength and ability to set and keep our boundaries and enjoy the moments of joy regardless of what the addicts in our lives decide to do.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My holiday weekend will be alcoholic and addict free. I'm already planning on cooking a big fat steak and some corn on the cob on Amber's table top grill I am borrowing!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lillamy-
your post just hit home. It makes me cry because you are right, we do dread the holidays because we sit and worry and wait for them to hurry up and get over with. I am sad for your friend but hopefully she can find some comfort in your friendship because you "have been there."
I hope you have a nice weekend and I too am looking forward to trying to enjoy myself just for a while.