June 1 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

A member reminded a group one evening of a story in our book, AL-ANON FACES ALCOHOLISM, of the experiences of a commuter who talked with strangers each day on the trains as she went to work. On every trip, she found someone with a problem of alcoholism; a young father taking his child to be cared for by his mother; an older man whose successful business finally went down the drain because of a drinking partner; a woman who, at sixty, had to take on the responsibility for grandchildren because both her son and his wife were alcoholics.

“These brief sketches proved one thing to me,” the member said. “When we realize how prevalent the problem is, it’s up to us to keep alert to help such people find Al-Anon. Every one of us could help somebody – a neighbor, a relative, a friend, or even a stranger. We need to do that kind of helping - - it does so much for our own growth.”

TODAY’S REMINDER

The Al-Anon program is a precious gift; I want to share it. I will not deprive myself of the opportunity of helping those who need it.

“What I can give is never as much as I get from the giving.”