Manipulation or attempt to repair relationships?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Manipulation to me implies some clear thought on an outcome and since he is still drinking, he may be trying to prove something to himself or you that he can change. Bah.

He is STILL drinking and if he reverts to less healthy ways of interacting, your kids will feel betrayed. I'd wager that is what will happen until he admits he needs recovery and seeks it. He is trying to normalize his drinking but you see right through it.

Getting the kids to therapy or al-ateen would be the best bet because even though at the moment he is 'trying', how can you be a great dad if you are an active alcoholic?

just my thoughts.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm always reluctant to comment on manipluation.
In my opinion, everyone manipulates to some degree. Most of the time, it's not out of spite, but fear.
Manipluation is not part of the "disease", it's part of human nature based on fear.

In my personal opinion, codependents are as manipulative as the addicts. We do it to avoid pain. If it's done with bad intent, then it becomes sociopathic.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

thought on outcome

Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Manipulation to me implies some clear thought on an outcome and since he is still drinking, he may be trying to prove something to himself or you that he can change. Bah. ...
That says it all. The family problem trys 'manipulating' you all the time. Found it best to ignore many comments simply designed to illicit a response even if it's interest in their story/problem.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hate to say it but I am leaning towards manipulation too. Mine is doing the same thing right now.