alcoholic brothers dog

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy alcoholic brothers dog

Hi again, Anybody thought about pets belonging to alcoholics. my alcoholic brother had a dog, which ended up with my mother age 81, when he went into rehab, because he had been living with her previously. At first he was grateful for her keeping it and next door neighbour taking it for walks, because she couldn't manage it. my brother was rehomed in a flat where he couldn't have a dog, so mother was permenently lumbered. So brother agreed at the time when he went into rehab that the dog was rehomed as long as he could visit it and take it for walks. Well the dog had serious health problems and needed all its teeth removed because of gum infections and abcesses, which the new owner who had taken the dog has payed about 5 hundred pounds plus for the surgery and medications. Only now 3 weeks later brother who i think is still in rehab is complaining that my mother give his dog away, and is upsetting her saying it wasn't her dog to give away. I personally am glad the dog has gone to a better home, because i think it must have been suffering terribly. Now my brother is threatening to reclaim his dog when he gets out of rehab, he says he was treating it with antiseptic mouthwash. How selfish he is, he could have taken it to have free treatment when he had it but dismissed it. Poor animals , i feel so sorry for them
Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi thyme
how sad.... That dog is in a better place now. My AH used to let my dog drink scotch out of his glass!! It enraged me!!!!! When someone is drunk, they just don't realize what stupid things they do. I knew someone who used to smoke pot and he used to blow the smoke in his cat's face.... Geez.... I need to meet better people!!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound like your brother can take care of himself, much less a dog.

Let him try to regain "custody" of his dog. I can't see how successful he could possibly be given his history with his dog. Puppy is happy where he is I am sure.