OT Happy Veterans Day to Wicked and all our Veterans

Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awakening

OT Happy Veterans Day to Wicked and all our Veterans

Thank you for your service.

You and and all that went before, and after you, have kept LMC and me safe. I am very grateful.

God bless all the Veterans and all their families.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Coyote.
It means alot.

Beth
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes.

Thank you to Wicked and all the veterans and their families on SR for your service to your country!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ah coyote you beat me to it! Today is the day I make a lot of thank you calls. It's good to remember what they've done for us to keep us and our loved ones safe.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Prayer for Veterans Day

We ask for blessings on all those who have served their country in the armed forces.
We ask for healing for the veterans who have been wounded, in body and soul, in conflicts around the globe.
We pray especially for the young men and women, in the thousands, who are coming home from Iraq with injured bodies and traumatized spirits.
Bring solace to them, O Lord; may we pray for them when they cannot pray.
We ask for, echoing John Paul II, an end to wars and the dawning of a new era of peace,
As a way to honor all the veterans of past wars.

Have mercy on all our veterans from World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq,
Bring peace to their hearts and peace to the regions they fought in.
Bless all the soldiers who served in non-combative posts;
May their calling to service continue in their lives in many positive ways.

Give us all the creative vision to see a world which, grown weary with fighting,
Moves to affirming the life of every human being and so moves beyond war.
Hear our prayer, O Prince of Peace, hear our prayer
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes thank you very much.

When I moved into my new house the previous owner explained the significance of the name of the street we live on (because it is an odd name). We live in a subdivision called Memorial Park. Every street is named after somone who gave their life during WWII. Our street is named after a man who died during the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I am trying to think of a good way to honor him today.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hoop:

Live a right life. Vote in the next election. The next time you meet a servicemember, thank him or her for serving. Be involved in your community.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
part time member

My father served in Japan after WWII. Last year I wished him a Happy Veterans Day and he was very happy about that. I had never really thought about it. He was buried with full military honors this April...it was very moving.

To all...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awakening

This time last year I had the pleasure of thanking and shaking the hands of TWO different WWII Veterans in the same week. Not many of them left.

They may not get out much because of advancing age, but look for them at lunch and dinner today. Friends and relatives are usually taking them out to eat today.

If you are lucky enough to see an 80 something yo man in a WWII ball cap this week please take the opportunity to thank them, their faces light up and it will make YOUR day.

Coyote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Happy veterans day to all that have served or still serve our country. We often take for granted that they are out there fighting for and protecting our freedom. God bless you guys and gals for all your courage and bravery and what you do for our country. To all else God bless you all to. And do get out and vote in the next election. It's a freedom we have in this country that far to many people don't take advantage of.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumpa I do all of the above (well I hope I am living a right life-I know I don't always, but I try). I'm also an Air Force brat. My dad was in the service for 21 years. It took me a long time when we became civilians to stop calling the grocery store the commissary I have great respect for those who serve in the military.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

coyote you just gave me the answer. My Dad and his best friend (who was a pilot during WWII) always have dinner together. I think I will go pick my sons up early today and take my Dad and his pal out for dinner (or if they aren't feeling up to it eat with them at the assisted living place where they live--and maybe stop off and get a cake for dessert; niether one of them are supposed to have sweets but they both sneak and today is a day when they deserve to sneak!)
Old 11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by HoopNinja View Post
coyote you just gave me the answer. My Dad and his best friend (who was a pilot during WWII) always have dinner together. I think I will go pick my sons up early today and take my Dad and his pal out for dinner (or if they aren't feeling up to it eat with them at the assisted living place where they live--and maybe stop off and get a cake for dessert; niether one of them are supposed to have sweets but they both sneak and today is a day when they deserve to sneak!)
That's awesome HoopN, if he has a hat or cap to let people know how special he is, get him to wear it. Some one like me may just come up and thank him too.

Have a good time, you're gonna feel just great!

Coyote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Heartfelt thanks from this household today too for all who served/serve our country.

My dad served in the National Guard for 35 years, and I sent him an e-card to thank him today.

I also texted Amber's ABF because as much as I dislike him, he did serve over in Iraq and I thanked him also.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A friend of mine has written a book about his service in Vietnam in order to cleanse his soul and to help other veterans. Here is a link to an article in our local paper about him and the book:

His life, his hell - The Daily Sentinel: News
Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by HoopNinja View Post
Thumpa I do all of the above (well I hope I am living a right life-I know I don't always, but I try). I'm also an Air Force brat. My dad was in the service for 21 years. It took me a long time when we became civilians to stop calling the grocery store the commissary I have great respect for those who serve in the military.
High-flyin' Air Force, baby. [USAF Desert Storm vet here, grandson of an 8th AF B-17 navigator.]
Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My dad was in Vietnam, two uncles in the Navy, my nephew is in the Air Force, and my cousin is about to be shipped to Afghanistan with the Army. I have a huge amount of gratitude for all who have served, and are still serving...including ((Wicked)), ((TOD)) and others here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Happy Veterans Day!!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

I attended a Veteran's day parade in my little town. A lot of people came out. It was great to see.
My father, although he later became an alcoholic, served in WWII in the Navy. And he served admirably - nothing could take that away. My brother also served in the Navy in Gulf War 1.
My cousin has served several tours in Afghanistan. I have not been in consistent contact with him but maintaining relationships is on of my recovery issues. He deserves better support from all his relatives.

A big Thanks and Yippee to all the veterans out there.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

HoopNinja,
Today, I will have some cake.
What a great idea!

Beth