This disease is so ugly...

Old 06-06-2010, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This disease is so ugly...

Sometimes I forget just how much my 14 year granddaughter is affected by AD's disease.

When she comes to see me, she's a sweet, kind, and very relaxed kid.

I despise the fact that AD uses her. AD had her call my parents about a cable and memory card that grandson Johnathan needs for a Playstation that was given to him, incomplete.

My mother knows nothing about electronics, nada. She and Dad don't even have internet at home.

She doesn't mind doing things for her great-grandkids. However, she was suspecting she was being hornswoggled over this Playstation deal, so she called me to ask about the parts, and the expense. (they refuse to give anything to my AD). I can google the damned parts, look at prices, and let her know.

First thing I did was call AD and specifically ask what it was that Johnathan needed for the Playstation. I was short and curt. I took down the information, told her in the future if one of the grandkids needs something, especially electronics-related, she can call me, not to have my granddaughter call, and I'll visit with Mom.

End of conversation. There was nothing left to say.

Next thing I know granddaughter has posted something very disrespectful about my parents on FB.

Ugly ugly ugly. They have helped so much with those kids. Mom just sent over $60 to my granddaughter for a jacket all the volleyball players were eligible to purchase at high school this last year.

I have to remember, the disease is there, even in my granddaughter.

That is so damned painful.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it is so sad and frustrating
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((DeVon))) - I'm so sorry. I know it has to hurt. I'm glad your granddaughter has you and your parents to be the stable ones in her life. She may not appreciate you all, the way she should, now...but she most definitely needs you and is blessed to have you all.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

I am sorry to hear that DeVon. I was just discussing this with my BF not 2 hours ago. The children do pick up on the alcoholic parent's ways of thinking and treating others. I wish it were not so. I hope you don't feel guilty about it.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

L2L, I don't feel guilty. I'm just hurt, and it's difficult to see my granddaughter with 2 'personas', if you will.

She was just at my house last weekend. We went to Tanganyika Wildlife Park, and generally had a good time.

It's a whole different ballgame when she's with her mother.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Pirate looks at 40

Sorry to hear that Freedom. It never ceases to amaze me how far the damage from one alcoholic can go. /hugs
Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Freedom,

I'm so sorry...I can't imagine what it must be like for you to see this. Yes, horrible, horrible disease.

Hugs to you,
posie
Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good that you're on your toes; you will minimize damage that way.

i'm sorry that life has to have this kind of cr*p in it.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear ya' DeVon, it is so hard to watch children be affected by this disease. It is horrible what these people do to, and teach, their children. I have learned the hard way, though, that unless a child's life is in absolute danger, it is best to keep my mouth shut. Because like it or not, THEY are the parents and WE have no rights, not even when we think we are "right." Sometimes the only thing we can do is make ourselves available to them in case they ever do reach out for help, and hope that the children will come out of their upbringing somewhat intact. That often means turning your head.

Hope you feel better soon. I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hugs, Freedom.
I do not know how many here cope so well facing really hard stuff. I hope you, Freedom, and everyone else in similar situations realize how strong they really are.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A big fear I still have at the back of my mind is, as XAH was a late developer where turning into Mr Nasty, smelly and stupid was concerned.....could one of my girls do the same? Mind you they enjoy a drink, and thankfully are nowhere in the same league as dad was, but it still niggles at me, as so far and praise God for it, there is no sigh of alcohol problems in the family.

I keep thinking that I have been too blessed so far, and something has to have been passed in his genes to someone in the following generations.....after all his grand-dad, father and brother were very big drinkers, and all died of heart or liver damage at an early age.

I will just keep praying that the gene or whatever, has died out with him and leave it's non arrival in the young ones, as a blessing on the family.

God bless
Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Had to cut the last post short, and couldn't tell you how much I feel for you on the pain you got from your loved GD's, facebook post on your parents.

Dear Lord, it is worse than a darn bushfire....it destroys everything it comes near.

My prayers for all of you.

God bless
Old 06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The disease is horrible. I'm so sorry.

Off topic here...I love the pictures of your dogs.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Dev, I'm sorry....but I'm so glad that your grandkids have you in their lives!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I have to remember, the disease is there, even in my granddaughter.

That is so damned painful.
Remember also that RECOVERY is there, plain for her to see, in her grandmother.

THAT is damned beautiful.

CLMI
Old 06-07-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Freedom,
I have a question....
How did you get the dancing banana on the back of the pickup truck?!?!?!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

that IS incredibly disrespectful, and selfish and ugly, and no doubt painful for you.

just a thought though..... disrespectful, selfish, unthinking acts towards elders are almost in the job-description of being a 14 year old.

This happens in wonderful, functional, caring, sharing healthy families as well as ours ;-). I'm not saying she isn't affected by her mother's disposition and example, clearly any child is. Sometimes, however, that can work in the opposite direction, teenagers often reject their parent's values and approaches to life.

You know she can behave well, because she does with you in general. Perhaps this is more a "teen" thing. Not everything is about alcoholism.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
Freedom,
I have a question....
How did you get the dancing banana on the back of the pickup truck?!?!?!
I did a web search for avatars. I couldn't even tell you what website I found that on because I didn't bookmark it!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JenT1968 View Post
that IS incredibly disrespectful, and selfish and ugly, and no doubt painful for you.

just a thought though..... disrespectful, selfish, unthinking acts towards elders are almost in the job-description of being a 14 year old.

This happens in wonderful, functional, caring, sharing healthy families as well as ours ;-). I'm not saying she isn't affected by her mother's disposition and example, clearly any child is. Sometimes, however, that can work in the opposite direction, teenagers often reject their parent's values and approaches to life.

You know she can behave well, because she does with you in general. Perhaps this is more a "teen" thing. Not everything is about alcoholism.
I agree there are some 'teen' behaviors that certainly aren't alcoholism-related. However, I have watched her pick up things I don't think she ever would have done if not for the influence of her mother.

She has been caught shoplifting, and at a much younger age. Her mother has done jail time on shoplifting charges, twice.

What took place in the conversation between me and AD was completely taken out of context when AD told my granddaughter about the call.

When my parents refused to send AD money to pay off her last fine on stealing credit cards/using them (she did jail time on that also), AD told my granddaughter that my parents and I were bad people because we wanted to see her 'suffer', that we didn't care. Granddaughter refused to talk to any of us for months (that was when she was 12 years old).

That's the kind of crap she poisons my granddaughter's mind with.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh! I thought you made it from the SR smilies.