April 25 TV movie about Lois W. founder of Alanon

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I rented the story of Bill W. today because I had never seen it. I saw Lois's story. It just makes me proud the program is still going strong and little has changed. Thanks Bill and Lois.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I watched it with from a point of interest from being in Al Anon and AA. As am alcoholic, we're not even aware of what we do to other people's lives. As a member of Al Anon, I know I can't fix the alcoholic family members in my life either
Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

was an awesome movie... im really greatful to the founders of all the programs of recovery
Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
today4me

Was a great program. My parents were concerned at first what type of meeting I was going to. After watching it, I think it hit home when they stated the 12 steps.
Thank you CBS and Hallmark also, a great example of media helping.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Awakening

I wish I'd have used better judgment. LMC (Little Miss Coyote, my 8yo daughter) was still up and I thought it'd be O.K.. I explained to her what it was going to be about.

About half way through there was a scene where he'd PROMISED to never drink again. And of course came home stumbling around on the porch, for the umteenth time. I sighed and said I'd lived that. LMC was behind me on the couch and said she'd lived it too. Damn.

I feel like a lot of crap has been dredged up, and poor LMC looked stricken and cried.

I turned it off and held her, and told her how sorry I was.

Sometimes I wonder about me. I'll do better next time.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

P.S. I do believe it did a good job showing how it affects EVERYONE around, and how futile it is to try to control an alcoholic's drinking.

P.P.S. The scene where Lois' friend who'd been raised in an alcoholic home, and came clean to her about how she'd told the truth to the adoption agency about Bills drinking, to save the baby from living a life like she'd had.

Wow, that's courage.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
part time member

I forgot to set my vcr.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Liked it. Still a movie though based on the people involved...movies never show the true blue tale, they're not supossed to otherwise no one would watch.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So many issues hit home

SOOOOO, I watched the Lois W. story tonight. AWESOME!
I decided to write about one thing that hit me hard, especially once I took "inventory" of what I really keep "put up" for safe keeping.

At 10:35 p.m., EST, one wife mentions her long drive for her husband to reach Bill and Lois' home for a meeting. Lois admitted she had hid her car keys for years. WOW, mine were still in my purse, I'm ready for bed after the movie, and just realized my own car keys are still in my purse. I grabbed the key, punched in the code, and securely locked them in my gun safe for the night. Something I do EVERY night, since recovering ABF stays here most nights, and used to stop by around 3 a.m., while still active in his addiction, too. I have never owned a gun. The safe was originally bought b/c my oldest daughter was coming home from hospital stay after attempted suicide, where she learned from another teenager that to be successful next time, take an entire bottle of aspirin first, THEN cut yourself! I have many meds I need, keep them all under lock and key, literally, since Sept. 2001, and even hide THAT key, when only I know the combination that opens that safe, in conjunction with the key.

It serves a very sad purpose these days (and God help me if I get sick more than one day unless I'm hospitalized bc NO ONE can get my daily meds. I leave one day out at a time, in case I can't get up at all that day). It holds not only my meds (that are of no good to anyone but ME, not even if sold), but jewelry, my checkbook, debit card, car keys, and anything of value that might get pawned for drugs/drinking. VERY SAD!

It's been a long road for me. I trust no one. Locking everything up gives me SOME peace of mind that I've protected myself the best I can. Bf is NOT the only problem person I have in my life.

Will I ever trust that I'll stop "needing to be needed" long enough to put people in my life who can be responsible against the illnesses I face daily? My illnesses are life-long, and progressive. I may run out of time. But do I think I'm worth it? Who wants that type of burden??

My local Nar-anon meeting is tomorrow night. I'm making a promise to myself, here, in writing, that no one comes before ME for that (and subsequent) meetings, because I know me. If I allow myself to put someone else before ME, I can read this promise, regret my decision, and make the next meeting, which luckily for ME is the very next day!

Wish me luck, friends.. I can feel your love and concern.
And thank you for it!
Kim
Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I read the book that the movie was based on and from the book and now watching the movie, can relate on such a personal level (as we all can) to Lois as she begged, pleaded, cried, threatened to leave, all of the things we have all done in our relationship with the alcoholic in our lives.

I had tears in my eyes through many scenes as she struggled with Bill's drinking. When the 12 Steps were read and the Serenity Prayer said at the end of the movie, I felt so much gratitude to Lois for what she did so all of us to help us recover from the effects of alcoholism.

As for CBS and Hallmark - for a change, the media is doing a good thing by showing the movie and to Hallmark for posting links to various organizations including Al-Anon on their website. Here's hoping people in need will reach out.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidwestSheRides View Post
Liked it. Still a movie though based on the people involved...movies never show the true blue tale, they're not supossed to otherwise no one would watch.
Read the book the movie was based on. Believe me, nothing was glossed over - the author knew Lois for more than 14 years prior to her passing - he taped her remembrances and always promised that he would tell her story truthfully.

The movie is just a taste of what is in the book-hopefully, enough that people interested will read it.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Only was able to watch about 30 min before coming to work. I hopethey'll 'run it to death
' like they do so many of their other shows....
then I can catch it again in it's entirety.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did think it was a powerful show....
Yes...I was in Al anon when dealing with 2 of
my young adult childrens addictions.
It was immensley helpful.

However....there is absolutely no way
I'd be homeless for 2 years..
..sleeping on peoples couches ...for any man!

Last edited by CarolD; 04-25-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
I turned it off and held her, and told her how sorry I was.

Sometimes I wonder about me. I'll do better next time.

(((Coyote21)))

Be gentle with yourself. Forgive yourself.

You are a great Dad!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I didn't get to watch all of it, but did tape it.

I can tell you, when she lost the second baby and he turned it all around to be all about him (crying on her lap) boy oh BOY did that make me ANGRY!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

When Lois' mom was dying and asked to speak to Lois, and what she said...I cried and cried. It was so validating. I knew that, I really did, but to HEAR it in a movie. Wow.

There's a part of me that STILL doesn't want to believe that my exA is really an alcoholic. This is such a complicated, terrible, insidious disease.

Also, at the end, when it said that she was devoted (not sure that was the word) to Bill the whole time, for the rest of their lives, I felt a pang. There was the subtle question, "because I broke up with my A, does that mean I wasn't devoted?"

Of course I know that's my codependence talking...if I'm not devoted to myself first, how could I ever love anyone else? But that pang was there, and I paid attention.

And like Stillwaters said, I was really, really angry about Bill making it all about him all the time--that really hit home!!! What a yucky feeling, brings it all back in a flash...

posie
Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Loved the movie.... I have been away from my XAH for almost 3 years now, and the movie stirred some deep emotions in me and had me in tears... I struggle to identify what emotions they were. Definately not sadness, I think some relief (to be out), regret (that I stayed so long), resentment (that my A never found recovery), compassion (that we all did the best we could),.....

My current BF's reaction was amazing. Having clearly made it known that I intended to watch this movie, he (without comment or complaint) found himself a book to read and sat in the room with me (thinking it would be a "chick flick"). He looked over at me several times and noticed how emotional I was, smiling in a reassuring way. Toward the end of the move/and when it was over he came and sat next to me and gave me a big hug, then asked what he could do for me. That, of course, brought more tears. He just held me and told me how much he loved me. I think he now understands a little better what being married to an alcoholic is all about. Lot's of people seem to belief that it's all just one big fun party -- and that leaving an alcoholic must mean that I am "stuffy" and opposed to drinking. Very few people realize there is so much sneaking, lying and deception.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nowinsituation View Post
Very few people realize there is so much sneaking, lying and deception.
Isn't that the truth.

I missed it. I sure hope it is replayed - in the middle of the night so I can watch it, lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Exclamation

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
Only was able to watch about 30 min before coming to work. I hopethey'll 'run it to death
' like they do so many of their other shows....
then I can catch it again in it's entirety.

They did mention being able to buy the movie. Might be able to catch the movie in a video store. I've not looked lately but, Bill W. used to be in the video stores
Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

The end of the movie brought me to tears.
We can't even imagine what the stigma of addiction was like back then.
Yet Bill and Lois went public and talked. They shared their secrets, experience, strength and hope.
Thankfully, we are still talking today.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I just tried to watch the rest of it, unsuccessfully. I did get most of the way through though.

Wow. I knew the plot I knew the minute he was going to tell her he deserved RESPECT as he was the man of the house! LOL.

I'll try to watch the end of it tomorrow.