Alcoholism and antidepressants

Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and antidepressants

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone here had an experience of their A being on antidepressants. I was wondering if being on them actually helped or hindered the A?
Also, if anyone here wants to share if they took the antidepressants and if it helped them in their journey of healing.

Thanks for sharing!

Lulu
Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Hey Lulu,

Antidepressants do not work if one is drowning their brain in alcohol. This goes for all of them. I tried it. Anyway, I am on them now sober (big family history) Shoulda been on them eons ago, sober. They've been a friggin miracle. I'm on Zoloft wich also helps for anxiety and Lamictil which is a mood stabilizer.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband is much better sober and on antidepressants. The problem is that he doesn't like to take them and everytime he stops - he is miserable to be around again.

He did take them when drinking - they didn't help and sometimes made it worse.

I have seen them be very effective in many people. My personal experience does help b/c it didn't make any difference. My friends suggest it, just b/c they don't like seeing me sad but how else does one mourn? And you do get over things! Feelings aren't static, they change all the time unless you try really hard to stay in them.(LOL)
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have experience to share.

Its scary when they mix alcohol and antidepressants because it like magnifies the effect of the alcohol. I have a photo of my RAH passed out in the garden. I was not sure whether or not to call the paramedics. Its funny now and sad thinking back.

He will NOT take them while sober now. He will not seek therapy either.<shrug>

When we were seeing a counselor, he said that being ACOA might mean that they would be a good option (for us both). I guess its like PTSD.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cymbal View Post
I have experience to share.

Its scary when they mix alcohol and antidepressants because it like magnifies the effect of the alcohol. I have a photo of my RAH passed out in the garden. I was not sure whether or not to call the paramedics. Its funny now and sad thinking back.

He will NOT take them while sober now. He will not seek therapy either.<shrug>

When we were seeing a counselor, he said that being ACOA might mean that they would be a good option (for us both). I guess its like PTSD.
My EXABF used to take benzos and when he would binge, would mix both. Very scary situation to witness and while he is no longer taking the benzos, the effects of the alcohol are still pretty scary. He tried therapy, rehab, ACOA, Al-Anon and AA, and is still convinced he can do this on his own.

Now, He's my ex as I couldn't take the insanity any more. I turned him over to his HP and whatever path he takes, it's out of my hands-in fact, it never was in my hands.....
Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank while I was on antidepressants, and couldn't figure out why the antidepressants weren't working!

That being said, about 18 months into my recovery, I ended up in a psych ward with depression so debilitating I was no longer functioning. The psychiatrist recommended antidepressants, but I was pregnant at the time and refused to put anything in my body while I was pregnant.

I think it was around 5 years sober that the debilitating depression set in again, and this time I was willing to give the antidepressants a try.

It can be very difficult to properly diagnose things when someone is newly sober because there is post acute withdrawal syndrome which causes a host of things. For many people, once they get sober and stay sober for a period, they find the depression goes away.

It's kind of like what came first, the chicken or the egg? In my case, it wasn't until my primary care physician asked me if I had been depressed for a long period of time that I realized I had been depressed most of my adult life. My depression started in my teens, and then once I started drinking, I medicated that depression.

I'm one of those people who will probably be on an antidepressant the rest of my life. I've gone up to three years at a time off of them, and always end up depressed with suicidal thoughts. It's certainly not for lack of actively working a program of recovery. I just have a chemical imbalance in my brain.

I hopes this helps you some.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I'm one of those people who will probably be on an antidepressant the rest of my life. I've gone up to three years at a time off of them, and always end up depressed with suicidal thoughts. It's certainly not for lack of actively working a program of recovery. I just have a chemical imbalance in my brain.
Me too deVon, me too...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alizerin View Post

They've been a friggin miracle. I'm on Zoloft wich also helps for anxiety
Currently on Zoloft also. Family and personal history of depression. It also helps with obsessive thinking. Too early to tell if this will be forever. Do not think so. I could leave the Zoloft previously when I was exercising daily. Going back to that.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My ABF is on antidepressants too and still drinking so they are not really working. Maybe it makes the effect of the alcohol worse but I can't tell. He often doens't even take his medication so it isn't helping him much. I can't understand why he doesn't take it and get off alcohol to help his depression, but that is his choice I suppose. I'm done moaning at him to take them.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mine drank on them and he was a basket case with suicidal thoughts. He's passed away now. From a combination of about 5 drugs mixed with alcohol and the antidepressant, xanax, tramadol, muscle relaxers were all prescribed. I know I used to take an antidepressant and drink. The anti's didn't work but wow, I could drink soooo much more!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

really? i didn't know they could allow you to drink more. Is that common do you think? im interested in the effects of combining them, and the issue of whether you should tackle the alcoholism first to be able to deal with the depression, or tackle the depression first in the hope that the alcohol problem is sorted out through that?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So I happened to start taking them last Wednesday. I started to really feel like a zombie, and that feeling really freaks me out so I never really give it solid try...I haven't taken my pill today yet and I feel better already. I'm eternally on the fence on this one.

I feel ****** either way. It's just a different type of ******. At least I feel ALIVE when I'm not taking them. Idk I'm all over the place. To some degree it seems helpful, but I feel nothing when I see people I love. That's what really freaks me out being on AD's. So I'm back to square one I guess. Just $93 dollars less and a bottle of Lexapro.