OT - feeling sorry for myself

Old 03-19-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Please note, it is important that every two weeks you need to give your body a break from valerian root.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

(((bookwyrm)))

I'm hoping you feel better today. I've noticed a big difference in my mood since I increased my Vitamin D to 200 mgs a day.

A word of warning about the 5HtP: it can be very helpful but please make sure to ask your doctor or a qualified medical person before you take the 5HtP. It can have some not good/bad interactions with some anti-depressants.

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Bookwyrm,

I'm so sorry that doctor was cruel - there's something really awful about going to someone in a "helping" profession and having them be hurtful. I'm new to the boards and I love your wisdom and your posts so am really sorry to hear you've been having a rough patch. Hope it passes soon. On exercise - NOT my favorite thing but I was dragged (almost by the ear) on a walk by a caring friend a few months ago. If you can bring yourself to get out and move it's so worth it. I was in a pretty deep hole at the time and it gave me a tiny toehold out of the bottom of it.

I do my best to get out three times a week these days (my depression likes it better when I sit still so it's a struggle). I always thought exercise was about your body but I can't believe the difference that walking makes to my head.

Hugs.

SL xxxx
Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

bookwym,

i just wanted to add the comment that a GP may not be the best choice for you...and... a hug

:ghug3
Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

****{bookwyrm}}}

I'm with bucyn - can you find someone on your own?
Is there some reason you have to go with what your doctor recommends?

I'd flip open the phone book to 'c' and throw a penny from across the room.

that's about as scientific as you can get.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Thanks everyone - lots of good advice here. The days are getting longer and I'm desperate to get out into the garden - my favourite form of 'exercise'. I have a vegetable patch to dig in, fences to paint, weeding to do and seeds to sow in my new garden (those in the UK, the BBC Dig in website will send out free seeds for 5 different veggies and basil seeds for free if you ask them to!).

I guess in the meantime, walking will have to do. I do have a Wii consol and thought about getting the Wii fit to use but I'm not sure how motivated I'd be to use it. My work is sedentary and, just like you stilllearning, my depression does like me to stay still.

A referral from my GP means I get to see a counsellor on the NHS rather than having to find the money to pay for one myself. Money is tight right now with vet and car bills but if I can get together some cash I'll have a look at the United Kingdom Register of Counsellors or the UK Council for Psychotherapy and just pick one!

I already take multi vitamin and mineral supplements, along with cod liver oil and evening primrose oil every day. I'm also on 150mg of sertraline (Zoloft to those in the US) and have been at that dose for almost 2 years. Some mornings I feel that I would rattle if you shook me!

Think I'll take some of the advice today and go out and pick up some leaves and tidy my garden while it's still dry.

Thanks everyone.