Fear of meetings.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of meetings.

I have a codie nature, and I love recovery meetings.
I would like to understand the reason so many of us don't want to go to meetings or say they don't help... Just a bunch of crazies... Blah blah blah! I know denial is a huge factor, however, when it gets to be life or ( jails, institutions, and death) wouldn't a meeting be an "easier" choice?
The reason I'm bringing this up is because of a conversation with dry abf, who thinks I ought to be proud he is able to white knuckle it for so ling! Usually three weeks till his well deserved drunk. I fired back if he wants support he'll find it in a meeting when he's actually sober and working a spirtual program.
I guess I need a meeting and lucky me there's one up the road in an hour!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I hope you were able to get to a meeting. Sometimes just sitting in the room helps me in a way I can't describe. I don't have to say a word. I have been moved to tears just by sitting down, taking a deep breath and giving thanks for another day of recovery.

I am at a point in my recovery that I am beginning to accept that my friends recovery does not have to look just like mine. There are many, many options for recovery from addiction as well as codependency. Our recovery paths can be as individual as our finger prints.

When I catch myself trying to convert people to my way of life, I try to remember this: if everyone else looked, sounded and acted exactly as I do - I might get pretty bored with a life without individuality. That's what live and let live means to me. Individuality.

I agree with you that you (as a normie) should not be expected to congratulate your abf for another day of acting like a responsible adult and not getting drunk. Recovering alcoholics congratulate each other because they know what it feels like to have achieved another day of sobriety. If he needs to be congratulated each day, he can buy a pack of foil stars and put one on the calendar each day he stays sober and give himself a gentle pat on the back.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well i haven't been to meeting (never) cos I live in a small country town and a health care professional, memebr of executive at the hospital so scared of who will be there and care what they will think of me...
guess i have a bit further to go on the road to recovery huh?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gold View Post
Well i haven't been to meeting (never) cos I live in a small country town and a health care professional, memebr of executive at the hospital so scared of who will be there and care what they will think of me...
guess i have a bit further to go on the road to recovery huh?
The medical profession has huge numbers of A's, as far as I can tell.
When my xABF was in rehab there were 12 places there, 8 of which were taken up by nurses like him.
The whole point is it's anonymous and no one will say anything about you being there.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh Gold, I guess we all trudge this path. What I was trying to say is that I don't like his white knuckle approach to his alcoholism, there are options for help, but there's always a but. You and I are doing something about our issues by sharing here. My bf was in AA, but would rather control his drinking himself. I just want him to wake up, listen to his dr., stop or change paths.
I'll keep comin back.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just want him to wake up, listen to his dr., stop or change paths.

Serene,
How 'bout you shift gears?

What do you want for you?

Hugs,
w
Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I want to change. I will, walk my dog and myself, while listening to an online speaker, for 30 minutes at least! Hee hee, thanks w. I got lost . Happens often. I see you on this path, so I'm going to follow you today! thank you!!! It's better over here already.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)