Perfectionism_and_enjoying_things

Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perfectionism_and_enjoying_things

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, but I have an inkling that perfectionism is something we as ACoAs can relate to.

I have a problem when I take up leisure activities (books, video games, etc.): Whenever I detect that something isn't the way I'd expect it to be, or the way I'd do it, or the way I want it, it ruins the whole experience for me. At this point, I have a strong feeling that I have to find something "better" to enjoy.

At a basic level, I feel like I have a hard time enjoying things the way they are, and allowing myself to have fun -- I spend a lot of time fault-finding, and feeling like I should be having more fun than I am/could be having. As a result I find it hard to become immersed in what I'm doing.

Can anyone relate to this? Can anyone recommend any books/resources to help with this? I have some perfectionism books, but they only touch on this tangentially.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Vipassana Meditation Website A 10 day (free) silent meditation retreat.
Meditation is called "practice" because you are practicing being with WHAT IS (rather than what you would like it to be) while remaining in equanimity (at peace and balance).
Don't feel alone! We all struggle with this!
I got alot out of having 10 days to look at this and practice. I am carrying the practice into my daily life.

Wife