I'm in a hurry

Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm in a hurry

I've been reading over the lengthy posts of the Step Study, and after printing out the questions relating to all of the first four steps, I have to admit that I feel a bit "hurried". I read through these questions and I'm itching to race through them all and somehow "feel better" right away. I think this may be related to my impatience or aspect of being a codie; I want instant gratification NOW DAMNIT! I want perfection straight out of the gate, without having to do all the painful work. In fact, I realize now that I've always wanted to be golden right away, to be the knowitall expert immediately, never to fail. It happened when I was acting, when I was teaching, and I can see it continuing to happen if I don't learn otherwise... I know just feeling better right away is totally not the point and even counter productive to some extent, I still feel the desire for it, and it frustrates me. I almost have to stop myself internally and say "Stop! Recovery isn't a destination, it's a process".

Does anyone have any tips for becoming more patient (like, um, now)?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
and I'm an Addict

Encarta Dictionary defines patients like this:

1. Capable of Waiting

able to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset

2. Capable of Persevering

able to persevere calmly, especially when faced with difficulties

Learning to be patient, to wait, or to persevere calmly is definitely not one my strong points either. And just like you I wanted to feel better right then. Thats one of my reasons for using. I have learned that this recovery thing is a process. There are no shortcuts and no easy ways to get through it. I have to focus on each step and really study the questions. When I have total understanding of the questions asked of me, it helps me to look deep into the answer.

You have to take the work required in baby steps just like we as addicts sometimes have to live a minute, an hour, or a day at a time. I never want to rush my recover. Otherwise I may miss something. Without a strong foundation (found by working steps) our recovery will surely crumble under us and take us back down to where we started.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

meditation. check out my post today called Back and On a Wave of Goodness.

Peace to you.
Wife