Dad has been given a week...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

((Picky))

Whether you choose to blog, or post or both, the support from people at SR, to me anyway, has gotten me through some pretty tough times and is amazing.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-04-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Picky
Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My AH is still functional but I did once watch a friend drink himself to the point where he was no longer himself anymore. Everyone in our community mourned the loss of this much loved friend as he withdrew into another reality. He's still alive, well the shell of his body is still walking around anyway. The last time we spoke, people mourning the death of another friend (someone I didn't know) and this is what my friend told me... He was doing what he wanted to do with his life. I'm not a huge fan of AA but they have some good ideas... God give me the courage to accept the things I can't change. His life is coming to an end but he did the best he was able with the life he had. There was a time when he was full of life and surrounded by people who loved him. Then the alcoholism started taking him away... as long, slow and painful a death as any illness I can think of. I hope he is made as comfortable as possible on his way.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Picky, I was startled at the similarities between your situation and the one I was facing in March of this year. My mother was found to be terminally ill - her liver is also failing, and the doctor gave her a matter of hours or days to live because she was slipping into a coma. My mother did not die and was eventually released from the hospital about a month later. She is still alive today, but continues to consume alcohol despite her doctor strongly advising her not to.

Like you I went to the internet and then books, trying to find information on how her prognosis would proceed, but the only certainty I could find was that without a liver transplant she would eventually succumb to death. For me, I was hoping to find comfort in being able to know what to expect, but I never even expected her to live this long. I really relate to what you're dealing with and I'm so sorry any person would have to watch their parent die. I hope you are surrounded by loving and understanding people. Also that you make yourself a priority during this difficult time.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
((Picky))

Whether you choose to blog, or post or both, the support from people at SR, to me anyway, has gotten me through some pretty tough times and is amazing.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Thanks for making such an effort to contact me, I really appreciate the lengths a stranger would go to to help. As you know, Dad is going to last a bit longer, but I am still struggling with what to expect. I saw him yesterday and he was reasonably lucid, but shaking severely and it was clearly a struggle for him to get about.
Anyway, I'll be floating around here anyway so we may catch up. My name is Jordan BTW. And your cat is cute!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NOLAGirl View Post
Hi Picky, I was startled at the similarities between your situation and the one I was facing in March of this year. My mother was found to be terminally ill - her liver is also failing, and the doctor gave her a matter of hours or days to live because she was slipping into a coma. My mother did not die and was eventually released from the hospital about a month later. She is still alive today, but continues to consume alcohol despite her doctor strongly advising her not to.

Like you I went to the internet and then books, trying to find information on how her prognosis would proceed, but the only certainty I could find was that without a liver transplant she would eventually succumb to death. For me, I was hoping to find comfort in being able to know what to expect, but I never even expected her to live this long. I really relate to what you're dealing with and I'm so sorry any person would have to watch their parent die. I hope you are surrounded by loving and understanding people. Also that you make yourself a priority during this difficult time.
Thank you, even though so many people here understand it's nice to know there are others who have accepted it and are trying to deal with the inevitable. My dad has truly lived his 9 lives, so to speak, and we are all amazed that he has made it this far. It just seems to become an endless cycle of one step forward, two steps back. My concern is with making him comfortable and we are lucky that he has a lot of caring doctors, though a few of them are pretty exasperated. One thing amuses me though, and that's that his sense of humour remains in-tact, and he still tells all the women he meets that they're astonishingly beautiful!

Good luck with your mum, my parents were separated and I lived with my mum. It must be harder having your mother go through that. Hugs to you.